Dipsey line, braided or wire?

I recently picked up two Mag 10 riggers that I am on the fence weather to run a sinlge rod or dual rods on each.. My boat is 18' and 72" wide so its not the widest boat out there. I have been thinking if I run one rod on each rigger and set up two rods with dipsies what would my best choice be as far as line? I was wondering if braided would be good to use with maybe 250' of line out or would wire be a better option? Or stick with 4 rods on the two riggers... Any help would be apreciated...

Braid and wire for dipsy will give about the same performance, but wire will be the best when fleas start up so just go with wire, malin 7 or torpedo brand are good choices 30 lb.

Two riggers with one rod apiece is good for a narrow beam, but if you want to stack another rod you would need the other rod holder or use one in the gunnels that is near to the rigger.and angled out from the other rod and rigger boom.

Stacking a small dipsy on the rigger cable will give you a nice wide spread and that is called a down and out. That way you could run six rods off your narrow beam and never have a tangle unless the boat does a whirly too quick. Three fishermen would probably be ok in your boat and you could get 6 rods in that way.

Stacking one rod straight above the other can get messed up on a release, but the small adjustable dipsy pulls out ward away from the ball lure and never gave a problem. If fish are deep run the small dipsy on a 3 setting on 30 lb mono (your clipping it to the downrigger cable in a scotty pinch pad) to pull outwards and let it out 90 feet and clip it to a scotty release 30 feet above the ball. Then lower your ball to the depth the sounder is showing fish. The small dipsy will be behind your ball lure and out about 10 to 12 feet for that second chance hit from a looker. You can run big divers out from the gunnels and the whole set will cover a very wide swath of water with 6 lures in a V formation. The second rod holder on the downrigger is always handy for just about anything too.

Mark

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

He was correct in saying 1000 (one thousand) feet and you cab fit all that on a Daiwa 47 . You need that because occasionally you will be running the wire out over 300 feet to achieve depth. A screamer will pull at least 400 to 500 more off the reel. So get the 1000 ft. And you will be safe ....unless the fish is really energetic and goes 700 ft.

skipper19 Awesome advice!!! Thanks alot, i never even thought of running a dipsy off my rigger wire.. I do have dual holders on my riggers so that isnt an issue.. For the most part it will only be myself and my son so we will only be running 4 lines but if we have a third that could really tip the odds for us to boat our first king :rofl:

On another note, if we go with four lines on two riggers, for example, If I have my lower line 20' off the ball and say 70' down, where would be the best place to put my top line? If I set the lower up where i mentioned, would it be good to set my top line about 25' from the ball and like 62' down? Sorry I know what Im trying to say but its hard to type so it makes any sense..

Thanks again for the great advice!

To answer your question on stacking straight off the rigger wire, normally you would have your ball lure behind the stacked lure. In most cases for instance you are trying to attract a king to a big flashy lure on the stacked rod and have a smaller spoon on the ball release further back.

To stack one lure above the other I would keep around 8 feet above the ball lure , and 10 to 15 feet shorter lead than the ball lure. However be aware that sometimes the ball set will come up and grab the line of the stacked rod and get a tangle started. Be sure when you POP the rods loose from the release that you do the stacked rod first before the ball rod to avoid the chance of tangling