bad day on the lake

I had the same thing happen during the summer LOC. I got the front hook of a tourney tie in my middle finger. I could not get the treble out of the fish so I had to rip it out. Not fun for sure.

I had that happen in pulaski salmon fishing at douglaston, I guy four people down from me, hooked me in the top of my right ear, He didn't know and kept yanking his pole, Thought he got a snag in the trees, I finally yelled at him, cut the _ _ _ _ out!! I finally twisted it out, Very painful.

I had that happen in pulaski salmon fishing at douglaston, I guy four people down from me, hooked me in the top of my right ear, He didn't know and kept yanking his pole, Thought he got a snag in the trees, I finally yelled at him, cut the _ _ _ _ out!! I finally twisted it out, Very painful.

That's not funny, but I couldn't stop laughing when I read it. Sorry :lol:

Keep a bottle of antiseptic on board for that....Yukon Jack, pour a capfull over the wound, drink the rest, find a wooden plug (remove hooks) bite on it , depress hook away from barb, yank hook with line tied to bend.

Truely not good, ...the er will just poke another hole in the area to get the same effect...a morphine patch between the eyes could be effective too...hope he's gonna be ok...keep antiseptic on it.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Yup that sucks!! Had a hook go thru my thumb when I was a kid. My dad almost passed out when he took me to the ER and they cut the hook, drilled my nail, and pushed it up thru the new hole in my nail :lol: But I do remember it hurt like a SOB

Sucks! been to ER twice and have done surgery on friends twice on my boat using the string around the hook and yank trick and it worked. MY fiance got hooked perchin on Erie, she passed out when I yanked it out of her, she won't go perching anymore. Happens all the time, I know alot of guys who it's happened to as well. I'm alot more careful now than in years prior. Crankbaits walleye fishing is what got me.

its never fun taking a hook out of a piece of flesh, especialy your own! i grabbed a rainbow at the side of my canoe a few years ago and she went crazy and hooked my hand with the other treble. i was by myself in the adks with no one around. i had to grab her and get the first hook out, then cut the hook (thank god i had my Real leatherman), and push it out the other side. funtimes! altough while i was doing surgery on myself, i got to witness an osprey dive down and catch a trout. it then took it to shore where i quietly followed it in and watched it eat the fish. amazing bird!

have any of you guys tried the method they show by lulling it out with fishing line? looks very effective.

Sucks! been to ER twice and have done surgery on friends twice on my boat using the string around the hook and yank trick and it worked. MY fiance got hooked perchin on Erie, she passed out when I yanked it out of her, she won't go perching anymore. Happens all the time, I know alot of guys who it's happened to as well. I'm alot more careful now than in years prior. Crankbaits walleye fishing is what got me.

sorry k, didnt see your post. thanks for that info. i wondered how that worked.

Been fishing for nary 50 years and hadn't done that until... 2 weeks ago. A buddy was fishing with my wife and I and he picked a slider rigged spoon up from the deck and didn't know he was standing on the line. He sunk it past the barb in the pad of his index finger when the line tightened. I sat him down and went to work wuth my pliers. It came out ok. Less than an hour later, I was tossing a flasher/fly over the side and the line caught something and I buried the hook to the bone, past the barb, in my index finger. My very recent surgical experience came in handy. I didn't even sit down as I took the pliers to my mistake. I pushed it away from the barb and then slipped it out. My wife had just upgraded our first aid kit the day before. Maybe it was her fault.

The string trick.

I didn't know about this when I ran my wife up to urgent care in Watertown a couple of labor days ago. They did a nice, quick job, but the nurse looked at me funny when they were taking her in and I asked them to save the lure. Sure enough, I got it back, less one trebble.

This is a true story. My son-in-law's father was bass fishing on Lake Erie and buried a hook in his hand. Went back to the launch ramp where he was showing his condition to the bait store proprietor. Some guy he did not know told him about the string trick and offered t pull the hook out. Well - the guy didn't know the string trick as well as he thought and drove the hook deeper. The unnamed victim yelled at him - "I thought you knew how to do this." The guy said - "I guess I will have to get my wife to print of the instrucitons so I can do it right." They went to the hospital and the triage nurse looked up his name and said "Welcome Back. We removed a hook from your hand two years ago today. What happened last year? Didn't you go fishing?"

• 2 months later...

I'm sitting here with a bandage on my arm as a result of being caught and landed Tuesday morning on the Salmon River. I was walking behind another fisherman when he momentarily hooked up on a salmon. He set the hook and the fish ran, popping the hook out. It rebounded in to me in an instant and sunk to the straight part of the shank in my upper arm. My buddy had to cut it out of my arm. 2 hooks in me within 2 months. Sort of blew my 50-year safety streak right out the window.

I'm sitting here with a bandage on my arm as a result of being caught and landed Tuesday morning on the Salmon River. I was walking behind another fisherman when he momentarily hooked up on a salmon. He set the hook and the fish ran, popping the hook out. It rebounded in to me in an instant and sunk to the straight part of the shank in my upper arm. My buddy had to cut it out of my arm. 2 hooks in me within 2 months. Sort of blew my 50-year safety streak right out the window.

Safety @ salmon river = body armor + riot gear :lol:

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png