Fuel lines

Wanted to post this here so it would get maximum exposure. While waiting on my engine to be rebuilt, I looked for things to be replaced as needed. I found several fuel lines that had blistered since the survey in April 2010. I did some research and found out that although they were not leaking gas or gas vapor, they were compromised by--you guessed it--ETHANOL.

What happens, even in quality USCG approved lines, is the ethanol "migrates" through to the outside, eating whatever it can. On rubber shielded lines, this will create a blistering look, almost as if it was near heat.

Thanks to the NAPA in Medina, I found a great place to have marine fuel lines for either gas or diesel made while you wait. The place is in Batavia, NY and is called Upson-Maybach, 662 East Main st. Hope someone sees this that needs to and avoids a fire or explosion.

Good post Capt. Vince.

I was thinking the same this spring. My brother in law is a marine mechanic, so he got my 1996 Merc outboard in March. Everything made of rubber on the power head - fuel lines, return lines, fuel pump, etc. was replaced with new products that can withstand ethanol. The fuel pump looked to be breaking down, as did some of the fuel lines. .... better safe then sorry..

With the ethanol deal I switched my fuel tanks to 6 gallon portables knowing I would not have to deal with water in a big tank. Last fall when I laid the boat up I did not close the vents on the portable plastic tank and left my Cannon Downrigger on the carpet deck. A month later the downrigger was stuck to the carpet and I had to use a knife to cut it free. Apparently the alcohol evaporates out of the vent and dissolved the plastic case of the downrigger motor cover.

This alcohol crap is bad for your boating fun.

Vince, good call, Last year, on my sea ray, I had replaced all lines, even the tanks fill line. I have yet to do it to the new boat, but a company named Master Carr has awesome prices on Ethanol resistant fuel line. And cheap.

Good Luck Guys..

Hope that viking treating you well