New cannon downrigger mount trouble

I noticed today that I almost lost the bolt that secures the downrigger to the base(new Model). Apparently there is a retaining washer on the bolt that came off and the bolt was barely hanging on the base. I was lucky it didn't fall out as I had the base turned so the bolt was outward. So this is just a word of advice. Keep your base turned so the retaining bolt(with knob handle) is facing the inside of your boat so if it falls out it will land in the boat. I now stocked extra SS bolts in case I lose one. I also am going to machine a small groove in the bolt and install a spring clip.

High Bidder

I am having issues with my new ones too. I have twonCannon swivels mounts and two Traxtech swivel mounts for Cannon diggers. Traxxtech is solid, cannon not so much. Will swap last two out with Traxstech

are y talking about the aluminum riser swivel bases from cannon? i have those too. they suck, there is like a 1/4 of play back and forth on them. should of just got berts for a extra 6 bucks

I am refering to the mounting base plate for the rigger not the swivel. The bolt didn't fall out when the rigger was attached, but I remove the rigger for the 300 mile trip to and from the Lake. After arriving home I noticed the bolt just barely hanging on. It is just inconvenient to store the bolt elsewhere on the boat. Other than that I liked the new rigger. It is alot quieter than the older models.

High Bidder

I am having issues with my new ones too. I have twonCannon swivels mounts and two Traxtech swivel mounts for Cannon diggers. Traxxtech is solid, cannon not so much. Will swap last two out with Traxstech

are y talking about the aluminum riser swivel bases from cannon? i have those too. they suck, there is like a 1/4 of play back and forth on them. should of just got berts for a extra 6 bucks

I have the 6 inch swivels and mine got loose on me as well, had to take my vectors off and tighten up the big main bolt that runs through the center of the base plate. I choose the Cannon's because I like the swivel on them over the traxtech and bert's models and needed a 6 inch. I do like them though but it sucks I have to tighten them up, considering I only run my riggers 20 days a year and they are only mounted half the season.

• 11 years later...
On 7/31/2011 at 2:51 PM, High Bidder said:

I noticed today that I almost lost the bolt that secures the downrigger to the base(new Model). Apparently there is a retaining washer on the bolt that came off and the bolt was barely hanging on the base. I was lucky it didn't fall out as I had the base turned so the bolt was outward. So this is just a word of advice. Keep your base turned so the retaining bolt(with knob handle) is facing the inside of your boat so if it falls out it will land in the boat. I now stocked extra SS bolts in case I lose one. I also am going to machine a small groove in the bolt and install a spring clip.

High Bidder

Hey do you have a photo of what you came up with for a fix for this. Running into the same issue with my riggers. I like keeping the bolt where it is but don’t care to lose the bolt. Thanks!