Cleaning Fiberglass Boat

Viking Ship

I have a newer fiberglass (white) boat and hope to keep it that way. I don't have antifouling paint on the bottom and would prefer not to. I usually keep the boat at home but a couple of weeks back we decided to leave it at a Sodus marina for one night. I spent 10 hours the following weekend using a cleaner wax removing the yellow water line from the sides, back, and bottom of the boat.

Boat spent Friday and Saturday this weekend at Sodus in the water. Got it home and gave it a quick bath tonite and much to my chagrin, looks like I may spend another weekend day removing the water line.

Anybody have any product suggestions that may make the job a little easier? The cleaner wax works well but is incredibly time consuming. I've researched a bunch of different products but not sure I trust some of them and I'd prefer not to give this relatively new boat a chemical bath every time it spends a weekend in the water.

Your suggestions are appreciated.

Slimy grimy works real good on the yellow stains and water line. Mix with water spray on and wash off some stains might need a light scrub with a soft brush. It's oxalic acid but doesn't hurt the gelcoat if allowed only a few minutes to sit on it

Mark

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Haven't seen any problems useing the powder form that you mix with water. Just apply and let sit for a minute just don't let it dry, you will have to reapply. Just rinse off with garden hose. No problem for the trailer if you rinse it off. You might get a little bit of white residue on the trailer but it wipes off easy. Rinse every thing good and you will have no problem.

Mark

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

I was put on to Bar Keepers Friend years ago on a boating forum and can't thank the poster enough for the tip.

I use the powder and just wet a sponge, sprinkle on some BKF and let it dissolve. Then just wipe it on the hull and let soak a few minutes ( don't let it dry) by the time you get down one side the stains are all but gone were you started. If a little stain is still left then I just wipe it gently with the spong and hose off. That's it. The stuff is amazing and to think of all the time I used to waste cleaning the stains off the water line. Save your time and elbow for a few beers. ;)

You can get it just about anywhere if you look for it, Target, Walmart, Grocery store..... http://www.barkeepersfriend.com/where-to-buy/New%20York

I was put on to Bar Keepers Friend years ago on a boating forum and can't thank the poster enough for the tip.

I use the powder and just wet a sponge, sprinkle on some BKF and let it dissolve. Then just wipe it on the hull and let soak a few minutes ( don't let it dry) by the time you get down one side the stains are all but gone were you started. If a little stain is still left then I just wipe it gently with the spong and hose off. That's it. The stuff is amazing and to think of all the time I used to waste cleaning the stains off the water line. Save your time and elbow for a few beers. ;)

You can get it just about anywhere if you look for it, Target, Walmart, Grocery store..... http://www.barkeepersfriend.com/where-to-buy/New%20York

I checked it out and that will work too, it is the same ingredient that slimy grimy has...OXALIC ACID...sounds bad but is really a natural byproduct of some foods we eat including tea leaves, rhubarb, nuts etc.....don't eat it though....ok don't let pets and kids eat it ...unless ...nope better not :P

probably much cheaper than slimy grimy, but be careful not to rub it on the gelcoat...could be slightly abrasive, so dilute it in water and spray it on. don't let the wind blow it on you in your eyes or on shrubery.

When i had the fiberglass boat i used grease lightning in the yellow bottle, worked excellent, Then if you get the real heavy scum on the bottom use stuff called ( the works) toilet bowl cleaner, you would be amazed on what that takes off. fish-on!

Give Magic Eraser a try. I used it on some black marks on my non-skid decking AFTER scrubbing like crazy with Star Brite's non skid cleaner... The black marks came off effortlessly. I'm skipping the non skid deck cleaner next time.

Just a word of caution...Magic eraser can leave a swirl mark especially if you have to really scrub with it.. Not a big deal in some cases, but on new/polished 'glass I would try some goo gone first. Takes some marks off effortlessly, depending on what they are.