Date(s): 7/30 and 7/31

Time on Water: 7:30-11:30 both days basically

Weather/Temp: warm, sunny, rained sun am

Waves: 2 or less

Surface Temp: 76

Total Hits: 9 saturday, 10 sunday

Total Boated: 3 saturday, 5 sunday

Species Breakdown: steelies and kings

Hot Lure: mag white/glow moonshines, flounder pounder, dalmation spinny with mirage fly

Boat Depth: 100-500....

Lure Depth: 60-90 down, 200-300 dipseys

Finally got my boat down to the oak for a month. Very nice port to fish out of

Decent numbers this weekend hit wise, but I had an aweful case of the dropsies (and 2 breakoffs, which I really hate). Very, Very frustrating...

Saturday started in 100 FOW and pointed NW into the waves. Not a sniff till i got to about 25N, and we had 2 screamers on that we lost, one on a flounder pounder that was bit off and one on a mag moonshine that he spit. Looped back through that with nothing to show, so continued north. It was a liquid dessert until we got to 27.8 N, 13W and then we had bait and fish. We proceeded to get decent action with small kings and nice steelies through the rest of the AM between 28N and 29N, but i couldnt keep them bastards stuck. It was mostly a rigger bite on mag spoons down 55-80 out deep, 60-90 in closer. We did have a 240 dipsey that fired twice with a dalmation spinny...

On Sunday, with the south wind, we started in tight. Screen was lit right up with bait and fish in 90 FOW, and we did pick up probably 4 or 5 fish right off the bat in close, between 110-150. However, with the crazy boat traffic and lack of any size, I decided to move back out to my waypoints from the day before. On the way out there, I had a little flurry on small guys at 26.5 N. I did finally get back to my 28+ N, but they werent as active out there. My best move would have been to stay inside I think, but with only one other person on my boat I just couldn't stand the thought of fighting with traffic all day. Again, primarily a rigger bite with glow or white spoons from 65-90 down.

Hope to see you guys out there soon. Will be at it out there on weekends through Aug 27.

Abe

I was there fishing also.

Saturday we were out fishing the 28N 16W and took over 40 hits and landed somewhere around 35 fish, many small kings.

We did end up with 8 kings with the smallest around 12-13 lbs and the 4 largest between 19-21 lbs.

All of the larger kings came on a Wire dipsy, #2, 200 back, 42 second spin with green fly. The dipsy was the hot setup on Saturday

I tried to stay below the balls of bait and steelhead in the top 50 ft of water. Fish high out there that day and you got nothing but little stuff. Our riggers were set at 65, 70, 75 most of the day. My 75 rigger was in 45-48 deg water all day.

Sunday morning, left at 10 AM, we fished in close to the East of the wall in 85-95 ft and kept 7. 2 steelhead, 1 atlantic, 2 browns, 2 kings with one at 24lbs. We also released another another 10-12 fish that were a mix of browns, steelhead and small kings.

The boat traffic wasn't too bad to the East, it did get crowded West of the wall for sure

Every hit on Sunday morning was on the riggers with spoons, not one hit on a dipsy flasher fly all morning

Question: What speed (at the surface on GPS) do you run your spoons? I don't do much salmon fishing, mostly Lake Erie walleye. I'm coming up around Aug. 19. I usually have decent luck with spin doctor/fly combos and j-plugs, but have never done well with spoons. I think I might be trolling too slow, usually in the 2.2 to 2.6 mph range.

- Cast Party

Question: What speed (at the surface on GPS) do you run your spoons? I don't do much salmon fishing, mostly Lake Erie walleye. I'm coming up around Aug. 19. I usually have decent luck with spin doctor/fly combos and j-plugs, but have never done well with spoons. I think I might be trolling too slow, usually in the 2.2 to 2.6 mph range.

- Cast Party

I am not an expert but my surface speed is normally somewhere around 2-4 - 3.0 depending on current.

If you don't have a down speed probe and you have a charter nearby (NOT TOO CLOSE) try and match speed and see what he is running in different directions. It will at least let you know that your speed isn't the problem if you are not catching fish.

Good luck