Derby fishing question

Was wondering what others thought about this.

Have not been to the big lake in about 6 years due to new family member but will be coming up for the fall derby.

I have been reading a bit about running copper.

With all the boat traffic I remember do you think it is possible to run 400' down the chute without getting hung up wih others.

If running copper should others give you room or do you think boats running copper, or dipseys for that matter, need to stay out of the group.

Always want to be courteous to other boats but also want to use the best methods to catch fish. Only have 2 riggers on boat at this time.

would like to hear thoughts and what other people may use for setups this fall.

Thanks

Brian

Copper is a great tool but you do have to stay out of the pack when fishing it. If you run it off a board, boats can see the board and know you are running copper. If you are running it down the chute, there is no way to tell you are running it. I would recommend running more wire divers. 2 of each side is easy to do and is a great way to add more rods.

To answer one of your questions, in a Walgreen world, we would all be able to run copper without fear of someone stepping on it. In our world, you run copper in the pack at your own peril - you are responsible for your own copper. I had a guy run directly up my baffles to within 100 feet of me last year. It happened so fast, I couldn't do anything but start pulling rigs. I couldnt turn away without taking out another boat's rigs. He took my copper and a dipsy. When it was over with, I had my balls at the surface and my remaining dipsy up while I was running above the other boat's rigs. Luckily I knew the boat in front of me and could radio him that I was clear of his lines. The jerk that ran me down has a bad reputation on the East end.

When the salmon start staging, a 300 copper is a good tool.It runs about 66 feet down while a 400 runs about 88 feet or so. You can run a 400 off the chute with only 300 feet out. I like running it down the chute when in the pack because I can pull it in very quickly. If it is on the big board, I need to bring it in from the board before I can reel it in.

As Gambler said, if you see boards, you should know the guy is running copper but, not everyone is that savey, observant or courteous. I'm always looking for boards on other boats as an indicator of long lines. I sometimes run out my big boards as decoys in the pack and then run my copper down the chute. The boards warn other boats I have copper out but, it is off the chute for protection.

Running copper in the pack requires constant vigilance; it adds to the risk and stress especially when you have idiots runing accross the race track.

A concentration of fish in a small area is what causes a pack in the first place.

If you get 50 + boats working the same area and they where all running cooper and boards just think of how much fun that would be with every boat taking up a very large area of water.

NOBODY IS SPECIAL OUT THERE.

Everybody has the same right to fish that water.

And there are all skill levels and experience packed in to the same water.

If you decide to run 300, 400,500 or 600 feet of line off the back of your boat or boards, it is your responsibility to keep it out of the way. Not the other 50 or so boats responsibility to give you your own quarter mile of water, period.

People were catching plenty of fish before the copper fad and you can catch your share without it now.

People need to exercise some common sense in a pack.

There is no fish in the lake thats worth being an a_ _ hole over.

And another thing. Just becasue you got 300 feet of line on your planner board reels don't mean you got to use it all.

Go find your own fish out of the pack if thats the way you want to fish.

They are out there just need to work a little bit and find them.

Rant over.

Glen

all my bigger fish came off riggers this year tho i havent got on the water much,yea the copper will add fish to the boat but mine is in the cabin 99% of the time..but my dypsys are in the water 99.9% of the time....and riggers 100% ...nuttin better than a clean spoon bite

Or just don't pack fish and not have to worry about it, you'll probably catch more fish anyways, traffic can and will shut down the bite. I'm far from a salmon expert but know a thing or two about walleye, the less boats the better, try and stay away from everyone or at least a good distance and you won't have any problems. Knowing that we can't fix other people's stupidity most guys don't know how to keep a straight troll going to begin with let alone keep their eyes peeled for big board or chute rods so you can't assume they know what kind of spread your running I just try and stay away. I had my leadcore wrapped by one boat who cut right across my transom so either I don't run it or I stay away. I fish out of Olcott most guys pull out and drop them right away, you get west of the barn or east of the microwave and traffic is nill past those points and most of the bigger fish I've caught have come from past those points makes sense to me! I know I know captain obvious stay away and less problems but then again the obvious isn't so obvious.

Thanks for the input

Sounds like some have had a problem or two.

Looks like I will bring the setup, try it if I can and pull it in when in traffic.

Been warming up on the 4-6 lb salmon here on Champlain, fingers crossed to feel the pull of a 30lb king again.

Good luck out there and have fun

Brian

Spoonfed:

We seem to agree on many points. I said short copper and down the chute. I also said it is my risk and that I can't expect others to stay clear. I don't run my boards out to the limit to stake a claim to the lake. I sometimes park them above my dipsies and run one 300 copper down the chute. The boards provide a reminder to others that I have something back there and provide a lateral reference. A 300 copper sticks back about as much as a dipsy. My 300 is in the chute where I can instantly grab it and reel it in if needed. I don't run copper if the boat traffic is heavy. If someone is close enough to take out a 300 down the chute, they will be taking out my dipsies as well. I don't think 350 feet (115 yards or so) behind a boat is excessive. Most people are running dipsies so they should be expecting everyone else to have them out as well. Seems that common sense has been exercised.

I would never recommend anyone come charging through the pack with big boards festooned with a plethora of long-line junk. Running a single, short copper down the chute as I discussed is a far different issue. There is no real difference between running a 300 copper down the chute and running 2 dipsies back 350 feet. The copper will be running in the water between the dipsies without extending behind them.

Perhaps my original post was unclear. I didn’t mean to imply I “run out my big boards†to the limit of the reel capacity rather, I meant to convey I deploy them, i.e. put them in the water. Like I said above, I don’t run them out very far. I’m not a fan of running long lines off big boards in close quarters.

Spoonfed:

We seem to agree on many points. I said short copper and down the chute. I also said it is my risk and that I can't expect others to stay clear. I don't run my boards out to the limit to stake a claim to the lake. I sometimes park them above my dipsies and run one 300 copper down the chute. The boards provide a reminder to others that I have something back there and provide a lateral reference. A 300 copper sticks back about as much as a dipsy. My 300 is in the chute where I can instantly grab it and reel it in if needed. I don't run copper if the boat traffic is heavy. If someone is close enough to take out a 300 down the chute, they will be taking out my dipsies as well. I don't think 350 feet (115 yards or so) behind a boat is excessive. Most people are running dipsies so they should be expecting everyone else to have them out as well. Seems that common sense has been exercised.

I would never recommend anyone come charging through the pack with big boards festooned with a plethora of long-line junk. Running a single, short copper down the chute as I discussed is a far different issue. There is no real difference between running a 300 copper down the chute and running 2 dipsies back 350 feet. The copper will be running in the water between the dipsies without extending behind them.

Perhaps my original post was unclear. I didn’t mean to imply I “run out my big boards†to the limit of the reel capacity rather, I meant to convey I deploy them, i.e. put them in the water. Like I said above, I don’t run them out very far. I’m not a fan of running long lines off big boards in close quarters.

Jekll,

My post wasn't directed at you. What would make you think it was?

A guy asked a question about running cooper in a pack and I answered it.

I seen it all on the big lake over the years and since you brought it up there is a difference between a dipsy and copper. The angle of decent on a dipsy is greater than copper. You achieve the same depth with less line out.

Now your statement regarding common sense being exercised isn't all that accurate. Running a dipsy out 350 ft is risky. When you take a fish that runs upwards of 30 lbs with a light drag setting, before he's done his first run he's out 600-700 ft. and you got to understand this and be willing to accept the fact theres a good chance he's going to get cut off in a pack and it ain't the other guys fault. Thats common sense.

You got to look and think beyond the bow of the boat so to speak, in this type of situation.

Gradyvt,

In a pack of boats you have very limited mobility. There are times you got NO WHERE to go and if I got to make a choice between cutting somebody else off or take out a long copper running off a board 100-200 feet (and yes I see it all the time) off the side of the boat on the other side, it's bye bye copper.

Of course this is all relative to the size of the pack and the size of the area thats holding the fish.

Just use your best judgement and have fun out there.

I posted my experiences to give you an idea of what to expect.

Hope they help you out and you get your 30 lber.

Glen