Fishing aboard FIRED UP W/ Pics

I had a chance to bring my son in law and father in law fishing. My son in law Jake from Watertown has just returned from his second tour in Iraq, Infantry. Jake called me up and wanted to take his farther Paul from Arizona fishing because it was his dad’s birthday and of course I said sure. They traveled for Watertown to get here and spent two days fishing. Now my next task was to charter a boat for this trip, I did not want to use mine I wanted a bigger boat and did not want to drive or rig for fish. I called Captain Steve Drave “KING ME†and he set me up with a trip board “FIRED UP†with Captain Rich Fiandach out of the port of Rochester. I asked Steve if he would be first mate on this trip and boy did he work his @ss off for us!

We arrived at dock @5:30 am and motored all the way out to the 34 North line. It was Steve’s idea to go after bigger fish and not numbers, well we did both!!

I love the look on a person’s face that has never caught anything over a few pounds when they hook into a SCREAMER!, priceless. Jake and his dad had a great time and we caught so many big fish I lost count. The fish consisted of big Kings and Steelhead with a few Lakers thrown in the mix. We did lose some tackle due to inexperience on the rods and very big fish, which is normal. We did not feel pressured for doing so.

The most interesting thing I have seen in a long time was when we had the 600’ copper tangled up in another line, 600+ out. Steve was working on the tangle when he shouts @hit!! Fish on. I started to look to see what rod it was on and soon realized it was on the 600 copper!! I could not believe my eyes Steve hand lined in all 600’ with a big 18-pound steelhead on the other end. Jake asked Rich what net to get the big or small one, Rich did not see the fish yet and said small one. I took the small net from Jake and stood at the back of the boat waiting for the fish to show its self. When I saw this HUGE steelhead appear before my eyes, I said get the big net!! I net this fish in disbelief of what I had just experienced. There was a mess of copper and backing on the deck like I have never seen before.

We kept a few for the tummy. Paul is bring some back to Arizona.

Here are a few pictures of the Monday trip.

WOW

IMG_1084.jpg

DSC00269.jpg

IMG_1097.jpg

DSC00263.jpg

DSC00280.jpg

file-49.jpg

file-50.jpg

file-44.jpg

file-25.jpg

file-5.jpg

thank you for your efforts and all involved with showin OUR troups a good time...and if their still around let em know they got 7000 plus americans who just enjoyed their special day on Lake Ontario, And pass on our THANK YOU FOR THEIR SERVICE (you too mark)

Ray K

U.S.M.C. AIR WING

thank you for your efforts and all involved with showin OUR troups a good time...and if their still around let em know they got 7000 plus americans who just enjoyed their special day on Lake Ontario, And pass on our THANK YOU FOR THEIR SERVICE (you too mark)

Ray K

U.S.M.C. AIR WING

Thanks to them and you Mark :yes::yes:

Chad;

The picture of the sky was very interesting. The small fluffy clouds under the streaks. I have never seen this type of formation before.

33canuck;

Steve has cuts and bruises on his hands.

Ray;

When I was in Iraq, Desert Shield & Storm I did not do or see half the @hit Jake did or saw, in fact in all the 10 years. But than again I was not infantry like him. I was a 52C—heating & air condition.

Jack “ Shorthandedâ€;

I have seen him do it one other time also. It was with mono. I also did it once with mono.

Motoman;

We were less than 3 miles from the fence.

Gambler;

There was not much bait out there. The few we kept and fileted / cut steaks had SMALL bit fish in them. The fish were very aggressive and hit hard than ran.

My turn to add to the post. 8) seeing how mr. "big net" aka reeljerks left out somethings....lol

About 3 1/2 weeks ago i get a phone call from Mark stating that he wanted to take Jake and paul out on a charter. He states that they are his inlaws, its pauls bday and that his son in law just got done serving 2 tours. HOW can i saw say no to that!!!!! Only thing i had to ask mark is when you wanna go and what to you want- size or numbers. Marks laughs and tells me both- of course.

So here i am getting a phone call for a charter from a personal friend that is a rec. fisherman that fishes the pro-am curiut in the pro division (and does great) and also fishes more days a year than most captains. Now here i am thinking I have to go ALL IN and pull all the stops to show him and his family a good time. I talk with Capt. Rich and tell him the skinny. We discuss a game plan. I wanted to get mark on his favorite fish (steelhead) and BIG ONES. I call back mark and tell him that we where going to go for big steel out at the fence for him and his inlaws......H MARK POPPED LIKE A LITTLE KID IN A CANDY STORE.

Now to add to the story more. I get to the boat monday morning at 4 a.m. to hear a marine warning stating severe thunderstorms, high winds and hail being forecasted!!!!! 4:30 a.m. i have all rods out and ready to go and the winds starts and so does the lightning...F*%K. My phone rings at 5 a.m. its mark... and the conversation goes like this.

mark: " Steve you hear the weather and see the lightning"

Me: "yeah i see it and hear it....where are you at now?"

mark "on the bay bridge"

Me "DRIVE FASTER SO WE CAN GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE AND GET NORTH"

so 20 minutes later we are heading out the pier heads with lightning and dark clouds to the south of us. now comes the waves out of the west/north west ...2's,3's,4's oh look a 5 footer. we motor thru the crap over 22 miles to get to where we wanted to go. Both Jake and Paul not feeling to well during all this!

Mark.... those 2 guys are awsome and i would love to have them back on my boat anytime. they maned up and stuck thru some tough conditions to catch fish without a single complaint the entire time out. well they may of complained for me "yelling" at them lol

with all that being said. Great time out in some poor conditions to start. All quality fish thru out-the steels, kings and even 2 of them slimmy things. Hard hitting, tackle breaking big aggresive fish combined with 3 great guys made it a trip that i will remember. not to mention i am still laughing over the whole "S%*T get the big net!" comment....lmao all day.

I want to personaly thank you again for the "extras" you hooked us up with. you the man. secondly the "big net" steelhead will be back from skeeters in 3 to 4 months. Glad we pulled it all together and made it happen.

here are a few more pics.

8-01-11001.jpg

here is the 600' copper wraped around or feet on the deck :o

8-01-11004.jpg

8-01-11001.jpg

• 2 weeks later...