Handheld VHF radio

BAZOOKAJOE

I recently bought one - I think they are powerful enough to get only a couple of miles reception - no more. Sending is the issue. Receiving will be better if someone is sending a strong signal.

They are really for conversing with close proximity radio communicators. You will not be able to talk to someone in Port Credit if you are in Bronte.

VHF signal is direct line of sight (straight line), so if the radio/antenna of the boat/station you are trying to contact cannot physically see your transmission (curve of the earth and all that) then it cannot receive it, nor can you receive from them. Coast Guard Stations have really high antennas for that reason, so it greatly expands the range that they can receive from and transmit to in the event they receive a distress call.

Handhelds are 5 watt units, mounted VHF radios are 25 watt and with a quality 8' antenna, have a much greater range.

With the low power and limited range, Handhelds are ok as emergency backup units especially if in a worst case scenario, the boat sinks and you find yourself in the water, but I wouldn't want to use one as a primary radio. With the heights of the Coast Guard antennas, they are probably the only ones that MAY hear you in a true emergency.

Tim

If your serious about emergency use only than look into an EPIRB no if doesn't act as a back up radio but they ( Coast Guard ) will always find you when the device get activated.