4 lines, what baits?

Sorry for all the questions lately but Im trying to learn as much as I can to get one (hopefully more) salmon in the boat. If you were running only 4 lines, two on riggers and 2 on dipsies with wire, what would be the best options for lure/bait?

On the dipsy roda I want to try, 250' line out, spin dr flasher with a sushi rig on one and a spin dr. and bait holder rig.

My question is on my riggers, what is my best option? Spoons, plugs, flasher/fly combo's? Do I run flashers on all 4 lines? Im so overwhelmed and the more Im reading the more Im getting confused it seems. Any advice would be greatly apreciated.

I'd run a Falsher and fly off on side on a rigger and a Mag spoon off the other side.

I'd reverse it on the dipsys and see what happens.

Don't go with a pre determined amount of wire out cause if the fish aren't at that depth your kinda screwed from the get go.

You can add meat off a rigger if the fish aren't taking your initial offerings.

The reason I wouldn't start with the meat is because you want to vary your trolling speed running faster and covering more water when looking for the fish, and slowing down once you get on them to see what they want.

Good luck

Glen

White Glow Spinny with Mirage or no see um on wire on one side set high or in the upper range of the temp

Green Dot Spinny/Live Wire/Show Time/Mountain Dew/NBK/42nd with Hammer Fly, Green Crinkle, 42nd Fly, Pro Am, B-fly on the other wire set right in 50-52 degree water in other words stagger them a by 25-50 ft to see where the biters are.

One rigger- in cold water high mid to high 40's with one of the combo's mentioned above, if your looking for matures put a flasher fly deeper in the colder water.

Other rigger, mag spoon with either a fixed or free slider. Mag on bottom 28, stingray/SS size on the slider.

I run these types of programs all the time and catch fish of all sizes and species, this is a morning and evening program I like alot of glows. When it's sunny I like bright blues and greens and chrome spinny's.

I'm far from expert but I've done my homework and have had alot of banner days when I come up from Ohio.

When running your riggers and setting sliders over top...I would run a nk28 off the ball and put a fixed cheater 6-9 ft above it with a mag spoon over the top.Run the nk 28 any where from 25 - 35 back off the ball and the mag cheater any where from 10- 18 ft off the main line.By doing this, alot of times the mag spoon will put off alot more flash then a 28 or smaller spoon.This will attract the fish in for a good look and if it does not take your mag offering alot of times it will hit your nk 28 almost out of instinct and agrestion as it turns to do back down.Give it a try im pretty sure you will see what i am talking about.Hope it works for you as it does for me when i only run 4 rods..Good Luck

Matt

-Jakey Baby-

Thanks for all the great info... Ive been copying and pasting all the info. Ive been getting from everyone on this site and printing it out on a word doccument so I can bring it all with me when Im on the lake cause there is no way I can remember all this awesome information. Thank you guys for all the help and hints :yes:

When you guys refer to a cheater, are you talking about stacking another line above the lower line?

Does anyone use spinnies with spoons?

Other rigger, mag spoon with either a fixed or free slider. Mag on bottom 28, stingray/SS size on the slider.

Im sorry, I dont understand what you mean. Can you explaine what you mean when you refer to a fixed or free slider? And are you talking about running two spoons on one line? Again, please forgive my ignorance.

I fish a lake in NJ that we do very well with bows, browns, and lakers while trolling, but this salmon trolling is totally new to me. Thanks again for the info! I think with all this info, I will be able to put it together and get some fish in the boat.

Cheaters are about a 5-8ft piece of floro carbon with barrel swivals on each end.You can either set your rigger to your desired depth then take your 5-8ft floro and put your spoon on one end and clip your other swival on you main line that is already down.Once you have that just throw you spoon out to the out side and let it free fall down your main line.That way you are running two spoons on one line.A fixed cheater is when you use the same floro leader but in stead you only drop your ball down 5-10ft then attatch it to your main line the same way but you use some sort of release to hold it in place.When the fish hits it, it will release a slide down to your main line swival.There are two important things to do when running cheaters, they are always use good barrel swivals to help prevent any tangles and the other is when that rod goes off real as fast as you can.Reason being if the fish is on the cheater line you want it to slide alway to the end of your main line as fast as possible to take any slack out of the line so you dont loose the fish.hope this helps explain a little better.Good luck

Matt

-Jakey Baby-

When running your riggers and setting sliders over top...I would run a nk28 off the ball and put a fixed cheater 6-9 ft above it with a mag spoon over the top.Run the nk 28 any where from 25 - 35 back off the ball and the mag cheater any where from 10- 18 ft off the main line.By doing this, alot of times the mag spoon will put off alot more flash then a 28 or smaller spoon.This will attract the fish in for a good look and if it does not take your mag offering alot of times it will hit your nk 28 almost out of instinct and agrestion as it turns to do back down.Give it a try im pretty sure you will see what i am talking about.Hope it works for you as it does for me when i only run 4 rods..Good Luck

Matt

-Jakey Baby-

Thanks for that tip, helpful, sometimes I run a smaller below sometimes not Ill be sure to keep that in mind more often. I'm also going to start dropping the SWR a little more. :yes:

Stingray NBK on one rigger with Mag NBK fixed cheater up 10 feet (or 42nd), white with green dots spinnie/green crinkle fly (use a hammer fly in the early am) on other DR, carmel dolphin spinnie/fly on one dipsey, nuclear white/fly on other! ;) Alternate a Mtn dew spinnie/sweet pea fly into the mix.