18 Foot Trophy Walk around..thoughts?

f1sh-0n

I found a 2010 18' Trophy walkaround with 115 mercury efi. Im just curious on your thoughts on an 18 footer. i understand sleeping in the cuddy would be a little tough or nearly impossible. I am really looking for a multi purpose boat thats easy to tow that i can fish lake ontario on good days without getting beat up like I do with my 17' Polarkraft.

I am not sure you are going to gain a lot outside of an improved ride by moving up one foot to the Bayliner, even though it is a nice boat. The 20-21 Bayliner outboard will give you more room. Having had a 22 Sylvan aluminum for eight seasons, it may also be a good option for you-the Islander is similar. I towed the Sylvan with a s-10, so a modest tow vehicle like a small pickup, mini-van or suv could handle it.

I have a 2004 1802 trophy walkaround with 115 4stroke on it and I like it. I put nautica trim tabs on it so i could stay on plane at lower speeds which does help in choppy water they also help the boat get on plane very fast with a full crew and they are cheap to buy and easy to install. It is a better ride then my 16' aluminium boat was on the big water but it still has its limitations. I love the 115hp 4 stroke it sips gas and with 4 guys and gear I can still travel as fast as 35 mph and it will troll as slow as you would ever want to go for trout and salmon. The cuddy is small but 2 can sleep and certainly the kids love it for the ride back when the weather is bad and it makes a good area to store stuff. My wife likes the cuddy because she has a private place to change or use the porta a potti. I also use the boat for perch fishing and I put 2 kids in front and 4 of us fish out the back with bait and it is mangable.

K gone fish is right if you dont mind towing it and storing it BIGGER is Always Better but this boat fits my situation very well.

If you want to talk more about the boat just PM me a phone number.

I just sold my 22 foot day cruiser a few weeks ago. We looked at and tested an 18 foot Trophy but was afraid it may be just too small. We bought and will be picking up a used 20 foot Trophy and think we will be happier with it than an 18 footer. I did have an 18 footer a few years back and the difference between an 18 and a 22 was amazing. I am hoping dropping back to a 20 will not spoil the rough water handling too much but the 18 foot was rough and banged a lot trying to ride back to port against the wind. I don't think you will gain much by an 18 and you might be happier with a larger boat as long as you have the tow vehicle to handle it.