Tough evening out there, toughest in quite a while for me... currents were wild... temps were inconsistent, floating between 50-70' down. Worked 140-220', 160-180' was most active on the screen with random bait pods and fish, generally in temp. Went 2 for 5, 2 small kings, dumped one good one after it had burned off a bunch of line. 55' rigger with NK NBK took 4 bites. As usual with these currents, divers were quiet. About a 60 degree heading was my only consistent speed and produced 4 of the bites. Checked out 90-110 fow on the way out and it was desolate.

Hans:

Only if my deaf ears could listen to the radio, I might find you out there on the water last night. Grin.

We started out in 100 FOW per your recommendation and saw tons of bait and fish. Two riggers down 40 and 75 feet. When I put down the first line in, it got hit within minutes but nobody was home. Trolled up to 140 and saw nothing on the screen. Trolled back to 100 FOW and marked more fish.

Just right after the sunset, the reel started screaming as I burned my thumb and cut my finger trying to slow down the fish - another rookie moments. Landed a 12 lbs King on spin doctor with atomic green crinkle fly.

Bottomline - I gotta get me a Depth Raider.

Tight lines.

upgrady, i was out of the genny tues eve, went 1 for 1 on a small king, had about 6 bites from 6 to 830. worked the 39 40 west lines towards braddocks. do u normally fish straight out of the bay? i was gonna head east this trip but ende up going west. sunday was not hot either same location. any feedback appreciated!!! tight lines and drags SCREAMING

Anthony,

At least you boated one decent one! I picked lines and was headed in around 8pm... surprised that you found much in the 100' area, I cruised through it and saw nothing around 5:30pm, so setup in 140 on a north troll.

Thumburn,

I generally tend to fish straight out to slightly East of the Bay and do not stray too far either way as I'm generally only out for a few hours here and there. I will tend to stay more toward the East as you can find deeper water a little bit faster in the areas East rather than directly off the river basin. I have not fished much to the West of the river. This is now my fourth season out of IBay, all of my previous experience has been off the Oak for many years and Sodus for early years of trolling.

Hans:

After reading your post, it seems as if I may have inadvertently reported the wrong location of the catches. For all of my trips this season, I have trolled to the area west of I Bay and between Genesee River and Russell Station. Yet, I give my report with a title "I Bay report" simply because of where I dock my boat.

I am aware that the waters are much deeper on the east side compared to the west side. I believe the area is called Shipbuilders. Your experience tells me that I should try to venture out to the east of I bay.

Anthony

Hans: Being the suspicious type that I am, I find it highly suspect that Pike Hunter has been "inadvertantly" providing innacurate posts? You better vouch for him quickly or a sea tribunal will be formed and the matter will be handled accordingly! I am looking for someone to blame my low trip/catch ratio on and your friend has just provided the perfect out....I have been in the wrong darn place!

(Man, I get stir crazy sitting at this desk some days ) :lol: )

Rich,

1st- The wrong place is in front of the darn computer even typing a message!!!

2nd- We'll give Anthony a Get Out of Jail Free Card this time... shouldn't be saying that to a lawyer or should I?!? Hmmm....

Anthony,

You've managed to find some fish each of the last few times you've been out... Rule #1 of fishing in this lake is "Don't leave fish to find fish"... If you don't find anything in the shallower water you've been fishing to West, don't be afraid to move more easterly, but you're becoming more comfortable with that area, so don't fix what isn't broken right now while you're figuring things out.

Oh, if you title IBay Report, then the assumption would be in the vicinity of off IBay... I think you're fine titling IBay as reference to your port, but if you fished off of the River, Braddock's, Russell, Webster Park, Hedges or such then just mention it in the report (That is if you want to disclose the secret honeyhole!)

OMG. I am already being charged for treachery and if I am to set my foot on my boat, this will make me a fugitive or in the high seas as you call it: a pirate. I will be sure to NOT mislead my fellow fishermen with my future reports. Please accept my apologies as I will be sure to tread carefully in the future. :$

I have been too comfortable with the fishing grounds between west of I-Bay and the Russell Station. I should try to give it a try to fish off east of I-Bay region.

Off topic, I will be taking my kids to our first charter trip with Yankee Troller on Saturday probably out of Sandy Creek. Will keep you guys posted.