Kayak for fishing?

hammer289

So iv been looking into getting a kayak for mostly bass fishing. I would like to go to some tribs, local ponds and some inland lakes mostly....so i was wondering what some of the experienced guys would reccomend for starting out....i dont wanna spend an arm and a leg but wouldnt mind spending up to $500.....any info appreciated :beer:

I would recommend the SOT.The SOT are easier to get in and out of. I have a Wilderness ride 135. Its 13.5ft 32inch wide. They're about $900 new. Not sure what you can get for $500 but I wouldn't go under 11ft. If I had to do it again I'd get one about 12ft and 30+inch wide. Wider is slower of course but more stable for fishing.That being said I would go with one a little smaller for the type of fishing I do, bass fishing. Mine is big enough to hold camping equipment and whatever. I'll probably never make use of the space. Your size is a consideration. I'm 6ft 3inch 220lbs so some what limited on how small kayak I could use. If you're 150lbs you definitely can go smaller.

Try this site for more info:http://members.cox.net/wkfa.org/

I'm six foot and 320 - my choices are limited but I'm my own flotation device. If I dump my Patriot Angler, I doubt if I'm getting back in again. It's big & stable but I'm not thrilled with it; I just got a deal I couldn't refuse.

Thanks for all of that, im not sure about the sit in or the sit on....im kinda leaning towards the sit on and im about 6 foot and right around 200 pounds soaking wet. Im not really concerned about the speed of one just more so the stability part for now.

SOT is the way to go and the longer the better. Problem w/ yaks is they pivot & blow easy w/o some extra toys. Boat control is key to really being able to use most of the specific bass targeting techniques. Buy it right once and you will have something you can use and really have fun with. I think you might need to come up w/ a couple more buck$. Check out http://www.kayakbassfishing.com/ and some of the others & have fun! -Andy

• 2 weeks later...

If your looking for an entery level kayak, Pelican Caseaway ain't bad. It gets very mixed reviews online but I have had mine for 3 years and have had no issues. It is very stable but by no means a fast kayak. I have taken it in salt water and fresh and have yet to capsize it... knock on wood. You can pick one up at gander mountain or dick sporting goods for a couple hundred bucks. Its not a bad kayak to start with but I will admit I have been thinking about upgrading to something that tracks a little better

Wel thanks for everyones opinion and info on all that but i ended up getting a sit on top future beach from dicks...i had to rethink my budget and how much time in gonnna have for the time bein....but iv taken it out twice, fishing once and its an absolute blast, its got plenty of stability for me, and enough room for a couple poles and a couple plastic boxes so im plenty happy with my purchase. Thanks again everyone :beer:

Personally I would recommend a sit in style for the purpose you can fish out of it yet still use it for recreational paddling when you want to. I would get a 12'er, I have a wilderness systems I think Pungo. I take enough tackle my fish finder etc. and put it between my legs. Don't get roped into a fishing kayak. When I was looking into them I looked at them and they overprice the yak by adding a couple features adn calling it a fishing kayak. Get a regular yak and go to gnader get 2 scotty adjustable rod holdes ($15-20 each) and one or two flush mount rod holders for behind the seat for a spare rod or net. It will cost you much less to put your own accesories on and you can customize it for you. SOT are nice but not so much for recreational paddling, just my 2 cents.

The rod holder is gonna be the next addtion definately but i wasn't concerned about storage for tackle....im mostly a soft plastics guy for bass so a 2 piece spinning rod,2 small plano boxes that fit in my vest and a couple bags of worms and flukes and im good to go :beer: .....thanks for the info again

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have a Wilderness Systems Pungo 140.I mostly use it for remote trips into the Adirondacks for brook trout.Locally I fish on Ontario,Canadice and Hemlock lakes.If you want to stay dry then a sit-in is better.Sit on tops are better for casting as they allow more freedom of movement.If you would like to get ideas,the WNYKFA is having their season opener at the Bay Creek Marina on Empire Blvd. on Saturday,March 31 at 9 AM.The guys are all great and will answer all your questions.Some have SOT and SI.Anyone can join free of charge at Fishgator.com.

give some thought to a canoe. i have a cheap plastic 15' er that i've beat the heck out of for 20 years. i use a kayak paddle in mine,much easier and faster. it's no problem fishing standing up in it. i haul it in a 6' truck bed with two ratchet straps with no problems.

• 1 month later...

I have been fishing out of a kayak for the last 20 years, mostly in saltwater, but I use it a lot on local rivers and lakes. I think a SOT works a lot better for fishing because you have more accessible storage. I own an Ocean Kayak and it is a beast. Very stable and I can bring lots of gear. Here is the most important accessory you can add to a kayak. Go to Staples and buy one of their milk crates, add some 1.5 inch pvc tube for rod holders and attach them with heavy duty plastic ties. I strap it down to the kaya with bungee cords. I carry 4 to 5 rods with me. Make sure you tie down everything because you will knock it in the water. Here is what mine looks like rigged out.

P1010076.jpg

I also own a Hobie kayak with a Mirage Drive that is one of the best kayaks if you can afford it. You can cover a lot of ground with one of these. As you can see in the picture below I also have it rigged with a milk crate. I am getting a little old for this one so my son uses this one more now.

024.jpg