fried lake trout

I am southern, raised on fried catfish. We fry everything. So I had heard of a lot of ways to cook lake trout, but I said naturally. Get the grease hot. I skinned a nice laker, filleted him, and cut it into 3 inch long peices. Salt and pepper him good, then get zatarains fish fry from walmart, and put it in a paper sack with a littles lawrys seasoned salt. Throw the fillets in, give the bag a good shake and when your deep fryer is hot, put the pieces in and when they float, they are ready. I did not know what to expect, but that stuff was amazing. Way better than catfish and that is saying something. Oh, you got to eat it with cheese grits and scrambled eggs, and hushpuppies.

• Like 1

Make sure ya use good ol peanut oil too ;) It makes it "ooooo. so good". :lol:

You are absolutly right on the peanut oil. It does fry fish better. I remember my grandparents frying fish in pure lard. Now talk about good. But you cannot get good lard anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

Try this. I took a nice 4lber from Canan the other night filleted him up cut fillets into 3-4"chunks and soaked in buttermilk for 3-4 hours.Got a packet of McCormick Beer batter added some garlic powder, old bay seasoning and some red peeper flakes along with about 1/2 to 3/4 bottle of saranac Black and Tan (mmmmm) heated up sunflower oil in a cast iron skillet dipped the fillets in the batter and dropped them in about 1-2 minutes per side till brown took them out drixxled some red wine vinegar over the hot fish and served it with spicy cocktail sauce and tartar with a side of homeade fries and slaw. Man what a delish meal that rivelled any haddock fry I've ever had. :beer::beer: