42 pound HAWG!!!

Thanks for the compliments guys but I was just lucky enough to drag a bait by that brutes nose.

Here's the story..

We were fishing straight north of the Oak on the 29 line. Because of the current my best angle was 30 degrees on my north pass and 210 for the south. I had a set of DW green eyed ghosts on the port out down with a free slider set at 60 feet about 12 feet off the ball. The stbd side had a gold spook on a free slider over a gold 42 second set at 50 feet. This is the same spoon setup I've run for about 3 weeks now.

We had a good flurry of kings to start the morning but the current quickly pushed us about 2 miles west of our "spot". We things slowed down I did the long sloowwww easterly troll to get back to my waypoints. As we got near the area rods started firing again and we were back on track. When the port out down went off and the fish started peeling line I thought it was just another good king. However, when we finally for him stopped at about 200 yards my client simply couldn't get any line back. We pulled one of our coppers and started a turn toward the fish. The whole time I was thinking the fish was foul hooked because there wasn't the typical head shaking or racing around....just a lot of dogging. When the fish finally got close to the boat it still wanted to stay deep and dog...like a foul hooked fish. Some nifty boat maneuvering finally brought the fish to the surface and Capt. Chris

Vogt (UBetcha) who was mating for me slipped the net under him. When the fish hot the deck I simply shook my head qnd said...."Well...you saved $10 each on a derby ticket and what would you do with $4000 anyway?!?"

Its a great fish and clearly shows what potential Lake Ontario has. Hopefully it will spark more interest in fishing Lake O and make more people think about buying that derby ticket. You simply never know. The very next fish you hook could be the fish of a lifetime!

Good luck everyone!

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] BlackBerry.png

I enderstood every words , wouldabeen a nice batch of eggs w/ good genitics,any fin clips??

Nuttin better than having to chase a fish down,hope that becoms the norm not a exception,good job to all involved , definatly a team effort ,got any dementions?

with eggs still maturing and another month of eating could be pushing the 50 lb mark :) ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,maybe this year?

:lol: Nice fish Paul. Congrats.

I know it wasn't easy and there were no guarantees getting that fish in. So good on you and the crew for landing it.

I am sure your client is telling all his friends how he managed to lose $4000 by scrooging $10 for a ticket. You can probably sell the derby tickets for $20 each now - just keep a picture of that fish onboard. :lol:

Thanks for the compliments guys but I was just lucky enough to drag a bait by that brutes nose.

Here's the story..

We were fishing straight north of the Oak on the 29 line. Because of the current my best angle was 30 degrees on my north pass and 210 for the south. I had a set of DW green eyed ghosts on the port out down with a free slider set at 60 feet about 12 feet off the ball. The stbd side had a gold spook on a free slider over a gold 42 second set at 50 feet. This is the same spoon setup I've run for about 3 weeks now.

We had a good flurry of kings to start the morning but the current quickly pushed us about 2 miles west of our "spot". We things slowed down I did the long sloowwww easterly troll to get back to my waypoints. As we got near the area rods started firing again and we were back on track. When the port out down went off and the fish started peeling line I thought it was just another good king. However, when we finally for him stopped at about 200 yards my client simply couldn't get any line back. We pulled one of our coppers and started a turn toward the fish. The whole time I was thinking the fish was foul hooked because there wasn't the typical head shaking or racing around....just a lot of dogging. When the fish finally got close to the boat it still wanted to stay deep and dog...like a foul hooked fish. Some nifty boat maneuvering finally brought the fish to the surface and Capt. Chris

Vogt (UBetcha) who was mating for me slipped the net under him. When the fish hot the deck I simply shook my head qnd said...."Well...you saved $10 each on a derby ticket and what would you do with $4000 anyway?!?"

Its a great fish and clearly shows what potential Lake Ontario has. Hopefully it will spark more interest in fishing Lake O and make more people think about buying that derby ticket. You simply never know. The very next fish you hook could be the fish of a lifetime!

Good luck everyone!

What derby is going on now that they lost out on 4000 dollars?

Good luck everyone!

Well said Paul, Lake O amazes me every time! Some people have no idea what we have here.

Paul's customers also happened to be motel guests at Captain's Cove and they were kind enough to send me some photos as well. I took a few hours off last Sunday to attend my niece's bridal shower and they brought the fish back with them to clean it in preparation for mounting it. On our Derby scale, it weighed 41 pounds 12 ounces. I wish I had been here to see it in person, but they shared their cell phone photos with me. I have attached one of those photos for you here and you can see Mike struggling to hold it.

Mike_s_41_Pound_12_Ounce_Salmon.jpg