4 rod set up to 6; question about running copper and dipsy

I have couple college buddies coming up this weekend and would like to add 2 rods to the spread. Right now I'm running 2 riggers and 2 - 300' coppers on otter boards. Can I slip a dipsy with a mag ring between rigger and copper? Or am I asking for trouble? Any other suggestion would be appreicated.

Yes, no problem. You want the dipsy closer to center to stay out of the coppers so you can loose the ring and put them on a 1 setting. Mag dipsys will dive even steeper with less troubles (mag dipsys NOT a size# 1 dipsy with a mag-ring).

I don't have exactly your setup, but I think I can shed some light here.

I don't have downriggers on the boat, so I have wire dipseys on the outside of my boat running mags on #3 setting.

I assume your copper is going right over the riggers on your sides, right?

Well, I then have two rods in the between (in the center of the boat) running either #0 or #1 dipseys. I set them to 0.5 or 1.0 position maximum. The trick is the center dipseys - these will be the closest together and the highest risk of tangling together. What I do is put 1 rod on a #0 dipsey, and run it out about 250 feet - this gest me down aroudn 40 feet. I then run a #1 dipsey on the other rod out about 170 feet - which gets me around 60 feet down. What this does is staggers the lines away from each other in the water, so when you are turning, the line of the #0 basically goes over the line of the #1 dipsey.

If you try running two dipsys at the same setting in the center you will need to be VERY careful on your turns or they will clash.

I run my copper on the boards as well and run 4 dipsys. My outside I have put on a 3 setting. I have not had any issues with setting lines. Now I do have this one issue often enough that is worth mentioning. When you are putting the copper back out there is a chance that the dipsy might fire and dam the copper is in its path:) usually Im quick enough to get the copper out but not everytime. It just adds to the excitement.

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png