Options for windy days within and hour of Mexico

Dukdog

I'm driving over from Maine and taking a buddy and his 12 year old son on their first Salmon adventure.

My boat is and 18 foot Lund Alaskan and isn't too much fun to fish from when the waves get 2 feet and over.

I'm looking for some other fishing options. A couple weeks back, we got a bad day on Lake O and went to Oneida Lake and got a nice mess of white perch and one keeper walleye. It wasn't salmon fishing but it was fun and we caught some fish.

I've heard that Oneida can get pretty snotty too so I'm looking for alternatives.

Can anyone suggest some other spots that might offer some semi protected areas. We're bringing some casting gear as a contingency. These guys just want to fish and are not fussy as long as they can get into something that tugs on the end of the line. I could use a few options. Thanks in advance..

well ya could drive to oak orchard ,olcott,(west end) if its a west wind,just remember the evening bite 4pm till dark,can and will outfish the morning bite 2 to 1 (usually) so ya ant gotta get on the road from catfish at o dark thirty. and Captians cove probly will have room for ya to lay yer head down so ya dont have to run to base camp after a long day..

Ya gotthe fingerlakes south , sodus bay a tad west and if the lake lays down then pop out the chute ( if ya go N/W ya get to deeper water faster)

launch at long poing state park on cayuga. Its less than an hr. from mex. Landlocks , Lakers maybe a rainbow. They run smaller, but are willing and the same stuff works there.

well ya could drive to oak orchard ,olcott,(west end) if its a west wind,just remember the evening bite 4pm till dark,can and will outfish the morning bite 2 to 1 (usually) so ya ant gotta get on the road from catfish at o dark thirty. and Captians cove probly will have room for ya to lay yer head down so ya dont have to run to base camp after a long day..

Ya gotthe fingerlakes south , sodus bay a tad west and if the lake lays down then pop out the chute ( if ya go N/W ya get to deeper water faster)

WTG Ray! Hopefully, sum one hear will tranlate waht yu jus told him! :lol:

I agree with Cayuga. That is a great option if lake O is rough. Check out the fingerlake reports. Also, Henderson Harbor is just a little north of Mexico, and it's always fishable. The 1000 islands region is about an hour north, another great option. Lots of good choices...these are just a few.

Gee.. lots of good fishing in Maine, but, if you are coming to upstate NY, try the east side of the lake O, say, Henderson Harbor, or the Chamout Bay area. You can quickly get to the main lake for salmonids and then go into the bay areas to find shelter for great fishing for warmwater types (largemouths, smallies, walleyes, northerns, et al). Also keep updating the weather patterns, particularly wind speed and directions.