NEED HELP WITH KICKER

So i need help with a kicker, One, this is a 21ft boat. so 9.9 should work? and Two, im not sure if i need a kicker mount or if i can just throw one next to the 150 and start fishing? I like the idea of a lifting bracket but at the same time i hear bad juju about them trailering. I dont' know. any help would be appreciated. ~Matt

101_0518.jpg

Others will disagree but a 9.9 will work. Have used a 9.9 on a Grady White 23 Gulfstream(the wide body one) and it moves it all over Lake Erie easily. From the pictures it appears that you could mount the motor as is on the transom to the left of the big Evinrude.

I agree with MCF, look for a high thrust 9.9 4 stroke (yamaha is my choice) You will have an easy time hooking up the steering with a front mounted quick disconnecting rod. I have this set up on a 22'Lund cuddy. 200 Johnson, 9.9 yamaha. Plenty of zip. Less than 1/3 gallon per hour trolling.

Thanks for the help, I think I'm going to just throw a motor on there. Im looking at a 15hp four stroke, Are the connecting rods universal for motor links or at least adjustable? I saw a link made by panther in West Marine but it looked pretty long, wasnt sure if it was adjustable or not.

8 hp honda 4 stroke FACTORY prop 22ft does 6mph troll 12 hrs (calm wind) less than 3 gal quiet as a mouse.puts out 6 amp with factory eternal plug for main battery charging(pull start) I strap it up for trailering (rachet strap) watched too many kickers jiggle going down the road..

The Panther steering rod I have on my kicker was adjustable - once you get your proper length you cut the threaded rod and screw on the end. Looks like you might have enough room on the transom - put the kicker on and see if there is enough steering clearance. If you don't have enough use a bracket. I've done both without issue's either way- just need to strap the kicker when you're moving. I use a 9.9 on my 25 - once you use a kicker it's the only way to go. Good luck w/it.

• 2 weeks later...

I use a Honda Power Trim and Tilt, four blade prop. It is through bolted to the transom and connects to the main engine with a Cabelas threaded rod connector. This can easily be disconnected without hanging over the transom and is a lot cheaper than an EZ Steer which falls apart at times in rough waters while you are bouncing around. With no oil fumes it makes downwind trolling fine. Twice I have returned in from deep waters at six MPH on my Honda.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone

Not to steal this thread, but my buddy and I decided to put a kicker on his 21 ft Parker sports cabin. Do you have to oversteer with it to compensate for side position of your thrust, especially since we use an autipilot for trolling? Also, do you think you can get by by using 6 Hp toshatsu?

Any brakets for using swimming ladder out there? All kinds of help and suggestions would be appreciated.

Mike

I run an 8 hp tohatsu 4 stroke on my 17 1/2 ft aluminum with no problems. I was told to go with the 8 because it is a 2 cyl. (the smallest 2 cyl. tohatsu makes) and the 6hp is a 1 cyl. engine and it has alot of vibration. If you are near buffalo call or go over to obersheimers sailer supply on niagara st in buffalo and talk to paul. they are an authorized tohatsu dealer. theyll help you out with everything. also if you get the 8hp you can rebuild the carb and make it a 9.8hp

I have a 19.5 sea nymph and a 9.8 tohatsu kicker. Top speed around 6.5mph. Can troll from sunrise to sunset on 3 to 3.5 gallons. Used the ball joint style connectors for the front of the motor and use a control king for thottle control (tiller model motor).

It's quiet/fuel efficient and has no oil smell on downwind trolls. It's a little noisier than a honda or yamaha, but works fine for me. My boats motor well is similar to yours and it fits fine without a bracket. Shipped to my door from online outboards for just under $2k last year.