Erie Walleye's in the Fall??

JakeyBaby

Hi All,

Since i am pretty green to fishing Erie i was just woundering how late in the season does the good Walleye bite last for?For me mainly Dunkirk-Buffalo.Can you troll for them right up to ice time or do they start to migrate sooner than that? Just trying to learn a little about those Erie Eye's..

Thanks Alot Matt

-Jakey Baby-

After the surface water temperature falls to below 65 degrees F., the walleyes will spread out all over the lake. The big smelt eaters will hang in the colder waters but the minnow eaters will be right on the shoreline to the head of the river.

The biggest problem you face in fishing the Dunkirk area for walleye in September and October is the wind. Some years you are lucky if there are a few days that you can get out that matches your schedule for getting out. Have been around the lake here for over forty years.

Jinksji2

So does that mean staying towards Buffalo is better than Dunkirk..??Maybe along the break walls and down infront of the Niagra..Also maybe pick up a Musky if lucky enough..

Thanks Matt

-Jakey Baby-

Jakey:

September really becomes weather dependent out of Dunkirk in the fall. About 3 season ago, we had pretty good walleye right up until we pulled the boat in early

October. Other years (last year) it's died quick once you cross Labor Day.

Most of the captain's here pretty much don't take trips much beyond September 15.

If you want to consider it, feel free to shoot me an email a few days ahead of the date

you might be coming and I'll let you know how its been.

John

We have fished for walleyes into December, at night even, but the deeper waters in Lake Erie make their own weather and it is ten times worse than near shore Buffalo waters. A favorite area is along Donnelly's Wall at the head of the river where it is quick and easy access. You have to familiarize your self to the area after the lake starts cooling down. Lots of rocks and shallow areas to avoid there.