wire diver set up

I am transitioning from finglerlake trollling to Lake O. I was using Okuma magda 20Dxs on the flx with no problem (and running size 0 divers)

the okumas aren't working well with the #1 divers and it looks like my "diver" rods are gonna break (i am not currently running wire).

i want to get properly set up with wire and a good reel.

I know some folks use the diawa sealine 47 series. what are your opinions about that reel or others? is that reel big enough to hold 1000' 30 lb. wire?

it sounds like the heartland or ugly sticks are used by many. any opinons/adivce on those.

thanks a bunch,

andre

Just make sure to get it on tight or you will have trouble. After I tied it on the spool I taped it with the renforced packing tape to keep it from spinning on the spool. 1000' fits on the greatlakes lc 47 and the sg47 just fine.

Akitaone,

When someone says "wire" they are usually talking about the braided stainless as described above. A "wire dipsey rig" is typically a Diawa 47LC reel or equivalent with 1000 ft of stainless wire, no backing. "Copper" refers to copper trolling line which is typically not used with a dipsey. Copper line is heavy stuff which will take a lure down by itself. A copper rig needs backing, often Fireline, Power Pro or equal.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Jim I guess that's what drives me to catch my first king , its hard to imagine that kind of power !! that they could spool me with 500 ft. of line !!! What size fish would it take to really take alot of line like that ?? 30 pound and up ?? I still can't believe it !! That must be a thrill !!! One of these days !! I was thrilled with the 11 pound coho but a little disappointed with the fight , I was hoping I had a king on .

chugbug,

we had a wire diver bite while prefishing for the Fairhaven Challenge a couple of weeks ago that had the counter over 700 feet on it's first run and still going strong when unfortunately the fish came undone.

Besides, like the others said, 1000 ft fills the reel perfectly and you don't have to worry about additional knots in the system to fail (at backing).

Tim

Tim , That must have been a huge king !!!My problem is I'm using Daiwa's SG27LCA reels , not sure how much I can get on them , I really like there size especially for the finger lakes ! Anyone have any way of figuring how much wire the 27 will hold ?? I thought I would go with the 20 LB so I could get more on .

Chug, you will be able to fit 1000ft of 20lb wire on that 27lc. However, running 20lb wire comes with it's own set of conditions that have to be met so you don't find yourself breaking off expensive tackle. I would suggest going to a sg47lc size reel and using 30lb wire to start. It would cost you a lot less in the long run .

I had a 32lb 6oz king run all my 20lb wire almost to the backing before he stopped running. We did get him in. My man was not in the derby! OUCH! Here's a pic.

100_9772.jpg