How to tie Malin 7 strand wire to Mono, and how to splice 7

I was wondering what knots will pass through my guides ok? I want to add 30-50' of 50# Andes to run slide divers on and have the wire all on the spool when the fish gets close to the net.

I have a kink in the spool, anyone cut and splice 7strand with a small knot?

I've used some tony pefia knots to tie mono to my 50# powerpro setups. if it will work.

The smoothest strongest connection I've ever used for mono to wire or wire to wire splices involves a 4 inch section of leadcore line and two Willis knots. Willis knot the wire into the core and then do the same with the mono. You will never feel it going thru your guides.

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] BlackBerry.png

You could also just crimp the wire to a small spro swivel, and tie the mono on the same swivel. That's how I run my slide divers. I believe the smallest spro is 35 lb test, and I haven't had one of those fail yet. I suppose you could do the same thing for a wire to wire connection.

You shouldn't connect the wire directly to the mono. The wire will eventually cut the mono under strain.

I use a micro-swivel, as Mick says it is around 30lb test. I join the wire to the micro swivel using this knot:

http://www.lotsa.org/Wire%20Line%20Knot.htm

I then use a uni knot to connect the swivel to the mono. If you use 20 lb mono lead, the knot should be small enough to get through your reel guides. The rod roller guides won't be a problem - what the normal issue is when you are releasing the line in the water, if your mono knot is too large it gets stuck in the back of the guide and if you are not careful, leads to a birds nest in the reel. So when releasing be extra careful until the knot is out of the final roller in the rod. If you have hoop guides on your rod, same issue - it is the release that causes most of the problems. But, it does work nicely though.

Keep in mind another thing - and this has been a major issue for me, enough for me to get rid of my mono lead connection on the wire. Fleas will accumulate on the knot/swivel, etc. whatever you use to connect the wire to the mono. This means you will not be able to reel in past this knot or connection, which means you will have 30+ feet of line still out if you need to land a fish. It won't be any fun, trust me.

So I do not recommend this setup during flea season.

Mark

Paul,

Are you talking about a willis knot that uses two overhand knots. If so, you get no fleas holding up on the overhand knots??

I tied an albright to connect my braid to mono lead - which is about the smoothest knot you can get, and still got fleas holidng up on this, although not badly enough that I couldn't reel past it.

Maybe there's something I don't understand.

markbellino,

For your mono to braid, use a uni to uni knot. It is stronger and goes throught the guides even easier than the albright knot.

X2

A simple overhand Willis knot will not collect fleas and is much less of an obstruction going thru the guides than an albright or a spro swivel but......its up to you.

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] BlackBerry.png

I think i found a solution. I used a 6 inch piece of dacron, the type used for J-pluts and found it is hollow inside. It is a courser braid and heavier than the jacketing on 27# leadcore. I used a very small nail to insert into the cut end of the dacron line and then a lighter to melt the fibers together. I removed the nail and put about 3" of mono in one end. I secured it with a Willis Knot. Then I doubled over my 7 strand mailin wire and inserted it into the other end of the dacron. I made it long enoug so that the doubled wire will be in the final willis knot but not much past it. I secured the wire end with another Willis knot. It looks like it will work well. I then used a lighter to singe the end of the dacron where the 7 strand goes into it, making it pointy. I put about 30' of 30# Andes Mono on the end so that the wire will be all on the spool when horsing in Sammy. Should work. Anyone else done similar?