Oswego report 7/27-7/29 w/pics

We fished out of Oswego the past few days and though it was pretty slow by normal standards, we managed some fish. I don't give reports very often but there's been very little on the Oswego port lately so I thought I'd contribute for a change 8) We also stayed for Harborfest......Fireworks were awesome!!

On 7/27, my 8 yr old son solo'd his first big king...19+lbs with no help from me except netting. He broke down in tears with about 10 ft to go saying he was to tired and couldn't battle it anymore, but with some encouragement from me ( SUCK IT UP....he's almost in the net!!!...lol) he stuck with it till the end and made his dad proud. This King came on a taped up nk 28 kevorkian spoon.

Justins19lbKing.jpg

My son and I headed out again on the 29Th and found loads of bait in shallow so we set up and worked it pretty hard. He slept in the cabin while I set up.

HARBORFESTFISHING7-07003.jpg

LuckyEnuff.jpg

As soon as I figured out some problems we were having with our sub troll thanks to our scotty stacker's, we started hitting fish. First fish was a 14 lb king. I called my son out to fight the fish, but he just handed the pole back to me saying he was to tired and returned to the cabin. While I was removing the hook the other rigger fired and as I looked up I saw a beauty of a steel head breaking water several times....then it was gone :(

The Steel head hit a Carmel dolphin nk 28.

We managed one more king and the wind picked up and the bite stopped for us.

The 30Th found very different conditions.....the water up top was very cold (an upwelling after the blow?) Worked the bait in 50-60 ft again with only one hit in 55 fow on a white spinney and a crushed ice fly.

I headed out deeper and had a knock off @ 115 fow on the 400 copper rod with a white & blue spinney w/hammer fly. We picked up our first fish @ 120 fow on the same copper set up. This fish had apparently regurgitated it's last meal.....a pretty large fish we figured was a trout ?? Any thoughts?

teenagekingwithbait.jpg

Next fish did not come till I hit 320 fow...70 down on a white spinney w/green dots and a crushed ice fly.

kingonthebox.jpg

Next hit came over 420 fow off the rigger 75 down on a chart. e chip and a green apple fly but I was to slow to the rod.

I started our troll back in and had a release over 337 fow down 72 on a nk28 green thunder spoon, but no one was home.

Around 325 fow, 70 down our rigger fired and it had to be the biggest king I've had on to date. It was smoking line so fast I was awe struck. After smoking off 2-300 feet in just seconds it hit a kink in the spool which stopped the line from spooling and just like that. the 30 lb test broke and he was gone with my chrome dodger, mirage fly and 400 ft of line :x

We picked up a smaller king over 245 fow, again on the copper with the blue & white spinney & hammer fly and called it a day.

I managed to go out from 9-12 the following day on the Murphy's law boat but it was real slow and we managed 2 for 3 with both fish coming on thumper rods and 1.5 lb weights. First was on a prism e chip and a green crinkle fly out 150. Second was on a white & green dot spinney/ tg fly out 175.

The wind had shifted back out of the west as I was leaving, so I'd guess the action should get better soon, if it hasn't already. Go out and fish every chance you get.

The Harborfest fireworks were amazing!!

fireworks1.jpg

fireworks2.jpg

Tight lines

Rod K

Lucky Enuff

Most of the time one....but I ran two a few times. When I run one I run it out the shoot, but when I ran two I put them in the dipsey holders on the side cause I only have an 8 ft beam and copper tangles can get pricey. I keep meaning to run it off the planer board but I just haven't gotten to that yet.

Good luck next week, you should have plenty of fish to play around with. Strait out, west or east....it's all good but I seem to end up slightly west most days.

Rod

Rod,

Great report, nice pics, way to keep the little guy on the rod. Glad you liked the fireworks, my company pays for the show every year. I did not make it up this year. Good Luck. Keep in touch.

Rich

Thanks Rich & Dan,

My son LOVES to fish, and he's caught more species of fish than most people I've met, but it's usually with some sort of help from me. This one was solo and I knew he'd kick himself if he gave up on the last moment of such a battle. He's really getting good and he's not to far from helping me set up. He just needs to grow a little yet, but he's got it upstairs.

I took him fishing down in Key West this past winter. For fun I picked up a book of all the local reef fish, I thumbed through it and with my eyes closed I picked out two fish. I told him if he catches the first it would be worth $50 and the second would be good for $25. They ended up being a Rock Hind and Sand Pearch and he took that book with him everytime he fished trying to match up his fish. Wouldn't you know....he caught both!! Next time I'm adding a size limit cause that $25 pearch was only about 3".

Rod

Hi Paul! Yeah, I would have liked to catch up with you at the challenge. It's been awhile. Since I was staying on the boat in Oswego, we decided to only do the run to the weigh in if we had a chance to be in the money.

It didn't go that way for us on that particular day so we saved ourselves alot of hassle and stayed put at harborfest and enjoyed the events.

I have not fished down by 9 mile & mexico bay much yet, but that will change in the next month. Hope to see you again soon. I'd like to catch up with you one of these days. You guys fishing the FHC in a few weeks?

This pic says it all. The boy fished the challence with me all day, then this in the evening....what a great day! :lol::lol:

justinwatchingfireworks.jpg

Rod