Feedback on electric downriggers (What's your brand?)

GB,

Here is a link for the new Cannon mag 5's, not sure what your price range is but this is cheap for a high speed rigger.

http://www.byownerelectronics.com/store ... 531&page=3

This is the same motor that is in the mag 15's and 20's. Just a thought, I have dealt with JIM and he is a great guy and you will have them pretty much the next day. Good Luck.

Rich

I have the new Cannon Mag 10HS riggers on my boat, and they are SMOKIN FAST!!! The Mag 5HS is a great buy and just as fast as the Mag 10...just no extendable boom or swivel base. For me it's gotta be Cannon all the way.

We use older Cannon's. Very reliable no problems since I've owned them - 10 years and they were on the boat when I bought it. They do have a smaller footprint for mounting if space is an issue. Scotty's are belt driven and the ball freefalls when putting your setups down. I know some guys have troubles with the belts but know SPoonfed maintains his equipment in top notch order and has no issues as most do I guess. I remember issues with the belt if it gets wet. Maybe Spoonfed can add some ionsight to this issue.

Honestly, if I was in the financial position to replace all 4 of my riggers I would seriously consider replacing my old Cannons with Scotty downriggers.

Personally I don't like the Walker or Big Jon just because they have a 3 position/down switch with the middle position being "OFF". IMO the Big Jon are slightly better than the Walker because they have a "paddle" type switch which isn't as likely to get bumped as the Walker's "toggle" type switch which can be accidentally bumped and start spooling the rigger cable up or down. The down side to the Big Jon switch is you can more easily pass through the middle off position due to the paddle style that the Walker toggle. The Walker has goos area to grip to be sure you are in the middle position.

I think the cannons on my boat are orig equipment from 1987,other than replacing the side covers on my corner riggers 5 yrs ago they work pretty good dispite me ignoring some electrical connections ,i just stuck a big jon on one corner and like the down feature of hitting the switch (down)and it goes down with no hands leaving me to keep tension on both reels (im a stacker and a slacker),the switch on my cannons are self centering in the down mode so ya gotta hold the switch still no problem ,i recently tried some scottys and they drop down as fast as you want ya gott be careful not to let it rip or you could drop to fast and if you want to stack rods ya gotta really pay att. and a newbe on your boat and a linewraped tip will snap your rod before you can say watch the tip, id say cannons or big jons

I have Scotty's and a Cannon. I prefer the Scotty's. Everything is accessible for dummy's like me to figure out and they are SUPER fast.

This is kinda like blonde or brunette? Just preference when you get to these 2 quality brands.

Have had Cannons for over 25 years. Currently have Digitroll IV's on the boat and love them. They have many features that can't be found on most riggers. 3 Speed up or down, several programable go down to depth. And my personal favorite is the cycle function. It adds SOOOOO much to the action on a calm day. Bottom tracking is also available with accessories.

I have a couple of old Cannon Mag10s that I've been using for four years. They work great! I don't know what all of the fuss is with hard to use. Just a toggle switch momentary for down and stays switched when pulling my balls up....althought sometimes that hurts........................

Have run big jon's since 1979 and still have one electric with just 1/2" boom instead of the 5/8" of to-day and still work's great. Only problem I hear up here on the north shore of LO (canadian ay?) is that there is no-one in canada repairing under warranty and guy's are reluctant to ship stateside. :roll: Garry

I'm running a pair of Big Jons from 1985 vintage, still running strong, slow as heck compared to new ones, but you get what you pay for.... Cannon's likewise are very reliable, I just hate the lunky design, Big Jon's are just much more compact on the back of your boat and I enjoy the mostly all metal construction as well... some people knock the Big Jons b/c of the "spring" in the arms, but that "spring" in the arms in rough water saves your cable and weights much more than other riggers...