Luhr Jenson flash fly

Anyone use the Luhr Jenson flash fly? I picked up a few one yr but haven't tried them yet. Would it even be worth it or should I just stick with the Atomik and Big Weenie flys?

Looking for someone who ran these and either had success or not.

Spike

Ive ran most and now only have atommik and big weenie. I like atommiks the best they hold up well. I like the big weenie flashabou flies more and more though. Not a fan of dreamweaver flies. Still have a few howies around. I haven't used the lj fly but if no has talked about it I wouldn't get your hopes up

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

• 2 weeks later...

Those big weenie flys have flat out-caught the atm's for us this year, hands down, and have witnessed them absolutely turn their nose up at the "others".

No plans on running anything else now, and we WILL NOT ever be without them on our boat.

Well I ran the flash fly one morning and it was the only rig to take a fish. So I will try them again. I ran the BW and atomik's that I have and the atomik out fished the BW I ran. Again many factors involved color lure depth ect.. I'm guessing all flys will take fish at some point.

Just glad to know I didn't waste my money, lol.

Spike

Those big weenie flys have flat out-caught the atm's for us this year, hands down, and have witnessed them absolutely turn their nose up at the "others".

No plans on running anything else now, and we WILL NOT ever be without them on our boat.

Thats an interesting opinion regarding your preference of flys. (the fish turn their noses up to a tom mik and others!) I'm sure the product is good and plenty of fish have been caught on Big Weenies, but as I type this, the LOC leaderboard indicates that 12 of the leaderbord fish were caught on A Tom Mik, some on Siggs as well as Howie. Suspiciously there in no mention of your preference of flys. I was wondering how that could be? I'm just thinking out loud!!

I have a huge fly collection - three - one A-Tom-Mik, one Sigg and one Howie (thank you, Narby's). We were just going to start running flasher & fly combos for the first time and then my buddy's engine started acting up. With any luck, I can get them in the water this weekend and I'll let you know how they do compared to each other. In all fairness, I've read favorable reports on some of the Big Weenies as well.

Thats an interesting opinion regarding your preference of flys. (the fish turn their noses up to a tom mik and others!) I'm sure the product is good and plenty of fish have been caught on Big Weenies, but as I type this, the LOC leaderboard indicates that 12 of the leaderbord fish were caught on A Tom Mik, some on Siggs as well as Howie. Suspiciously there in no mention of your preference of flys. I was wondering how that could be? I'm just thinking out loud!!

2 MDSD's with hammers get passed up, on 3 rigger set-ups, and can't keep the fish off the same attractor tipped with a Big Weenie, same depth, same leader length.

After witnessing this, we switched over to all Big Weenies and had a hard time keeping our lines in the water last Saturday.

Perhaps we are just doing it wrong??

CaptSpike

Out west here on the big salt pond Luhr Jenson flash fly where not heard of until some one figured that tinsel flies are very popular on the great lakes, I am sure even today there are not that many in use on the big salt pond. As far as one over the other, one has to do with confidence in what your using.

How did this turn into a Big Weenie vrs A-Tom-mik competition? See how you are Mark...always starting trouble :rofl::rofl: just kidding bud. I have a few of those Luhr Jenson flies in the boat and while I have never actually put one in the water...I can't see why they wouldn!t catch fish. And from your second report, it sounds as though they do.

Hey...all the fly guys make flies that catch fish. It's a personal preference and the smart guys use them all ! I ain't so smart, so I stick with my BW products because Gary is a friend and I think he and Karen are about as good a people as your going to find. Gary ties all the flies himself, and it shows in the quality of every fly you get from BW. Gary doesn't even fish anymore just so he doesn't fall behind on orders. Can you say that about the others? I happen to know for a fact that numerous atomic pro staffers use some BW flies also....and visa versa I am sure....who cares really? I think this whole "click" thing is ridiculous. Shop at alll the manufacturers and let the fish decide :yes:

As far as the loc, On The Lam, there has been an issue with Dave not allowing "Big Weenie" on the leader board as to not offend the soccer moms. For the most part, nothing, or just "fly" was posted on the board. I do think this has been changed now, but I am not totally sure? Tom has done a great job over the years with his marketing tactics on Lake O, and that is reflected on the loc leader board and the tweets, but that has more to do with "clicks" and marketing than it does with what catches fish ;)

Rod u made my point exactly. It comes down to preference and what u feel comfortable running. But to totally dis A Tom Mik products over another is ridiculous.

Btw. Most would agree the of all flys, the hammer fly has boated more salmon on lake Ontario since its introduction than most of the others combined.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

You wonder why people stop posting. Mark here is a example of why we are not on the board as much, we dont sell as much. Take mexico for instance we only sell at Jons little salmon because I told Jon I wouldnt sell to anyone near him so that is going to cut way down on how many fish are being caught on our stuff. Triple s and a few others have called wanting to sell our stuff we told them NO we control where it goes because we have a hard time keeping up as it is.JRC wanted to sell our stuff years ago, not a chance in hell I would do that. We rescue weeniedogs first, got a new one last sat. We were 2 days out on tackle shop orders but caught up as of today. I am sure Scott wasnt trying to be a jerk by posting that, we make awesome stuff and people like it. As Rod said and you know its true all you guys use whats working no matter who makes it. We support the tourneys over there, the Pro AM gave to the net pens and spent $15,000 on molds and plastics in Penn last year because we thought it was right to spend where guys support us. You should PM Scott and ask him why he started using our stuff. Got to go, stuff to do, BW

Jon gets another load tomorow, better get there fast.

Let's not let ITO flies out of this equation, they're good too.

Just adding fuel to the fire

Sure Bob...throw gas on the fire till things get good and hot....then lock the thread... :lol:

Btw. Most would agree the of all flys, the hammer fly has boated more salmon on lake Ontario since its introduction than most of the others combined.

I am sure Green crinke would give it a run for it's money, but for the most part I would not argue with that Pete. That color pattern is consistant so it gets run more than any other fly. Big Weenie makes a similar fly called the Blue Weenie and I always have one in the water when I fish the east end. It's definitly one of my favorite flies :yes:

I totally agree though, there is no reason for segregation. I am friends with both Gary and Tom and both guys have worked very hard to build their business.....same with Siggs, but probably to a lesser degree. Support them all....Compitition is what will keep driving them to put out better product year after year and in the end it's us fishermen that win :clap:

I think alot of times when stuff is posted it can read many ways with out being able to hear how someone is saying it. Scott was not trying to blast anyone. The first time I talked with Scott was 2 weeks ago when he called to say how great the butterface worked he bought from Jon. He is a great guy and fun to talk with. Thanks Mark there is no doubt the dogs come first here, quick story, one time I got some aweful cookies in my lunch and asked Karen, hey didnt I see you bring home new cookies from the store last night, I got those nasty ones? Answer, yea but Biscuit dont like those! See where I rate. We love all dogs and have one that looks like a weenidog but about 4 times bigger. They were going to put her down so we took her and kept her. Whatever choice in stuff you use just try and buy the stuff that gives back so your kids can fish these lakes one day, the Chinese could give a crap. Hope you guys dodge the hurricane, BW

Sorry this turned into a BW-atomik fly debate. I was really just asking about the flasher fly and was hoping I didn't waste my money on them. Curious if anyone else did or if only the two mentioned companies flies were run. I will admit I ran BW this yr for the first time and my time is limited on the lake so I am by no means one to go by. I really like the looks of the BW flies and hope to use them with as much success as I have had with other offerings. I really believe it is a timing issue and being lucky enuf (no pun) to have the right fly out at the right time at the right depth.

As many said it is a confidence thing. Most people run what they have had good luck with. I hope both companies are around for yrs to come. I have many more flys to buy before I die.

Peace to all,

Spike

• 7 months later...

We used luhr jensen flash flies last fall during the LOC with 11" green glow Hot Spot flashers. Green pickle was the fly used. Down 140' right on the bottom. Boat speed was real slow, just fast enough to rotate the flasher. Caught three or four nice Kings each trip. Leader lenght was 30". Great fly, that combines both flashabou and squid materials. Worth a serious try.

• 3 weeks later...

I see allot of talk about fly's and fly manufactors. I don't think one is better than another more than the choice you make on what fly to fish and when. Then there is leader poundage, hook size and type, bead color and shape and size, rattles and even scent! All this could be a reason one fly out produces another. I also don't see any mention ot the Total Chaos Flys sold at All Seasons Sport shop. I charter and have for a while. I only use these fly's except for a green crinkle Howie or A-tom-mik as that color material is exclusive only to them! But A-tom-mik, Howie, Siggs and Big Weenie all catch fish. I think that some of the Total Chaos fly's are more inovative and fresh.

try one out!!!! Ask around!!! And then vist my web site. LOL thanks Just saying!!!