Which Port to pull out of?

jdm130

My son and I are planning a trip this weekend to L.O, We were going to stay in Pulaski and pull out of Port Ontario only because I know the area from fishing the Salmon River. I have only been in the lake at the mouth of the river when I had my 14' boat. Now I have an 18' boat that I have been gearing up. Got my riggers, kicker motor, X4, GPS, etc.

From everything that I have been reading the fish are much further West then I was planning on pulling out from. I dont know any other areas besides what I have read about on this forum. It looks like Sodus Bay is a hot area to launch from.

My question is, Where should I pull out of? My boat has a 115 2 stroke that is horrible on fuel and I only have an 18 gal. tank. I dont want to run 30 miles out if I dont have to. We will only be using the 115 to get from point A to point B, once we are out there I have a 9.9 four stroke for trolling. If we pull out of Sodus Bay about how many miles will we need to go to get into deep water? Again, Im not looking for anyones honey holes or anything, I just want the shortest distance to get in to some fish.

I am not dead set on pulling out of Sodus, I am open to suggestions from you guys on what Port to pull out of. Then my other problem is a place to stay near that port. If you guys can help me out it would be greatly apreciated. A clean, safe, motel within a few miles from that port would be great if you guys have any suggestions.

Thanks as always for all the help and advice Ive gotten from you guys.

Jeff

My suggestion is, make damn sure you know what your doing in an 18ft boat before you go out past the bay(Mexico). That lake will KILL you in a heart beat if you aren't careful. And an 18ft boat is only marginal for that lake.

fishing has been good out in front of the salmon river last few weeks

fish being taken from 120-600 fow

riggers and dipsies been good

you'll be fine in an 18 out there

fish only getting closer as its about time for them to hit the rivers.... lot of dark fish last couple days so there coming up out of temp

stick with the water you know....fish are there

Try Port Bay state launch (between sodus bay and oswego). Nice, spacious, quiet, ample parking and free. Your on the lake in 5 minutes. I take my 17 footer out of there. You can hit 200 fow a couple miles out. Take Rt 104 to town of Wolcott. Turn at Mcdonalds (new hartford st...turns into west port bay rd) and go straight north about 8 miles. You shouldn't have any fuel shortage problems. My 90 hp 2-stroke Mercury only burn's a 1/4-1/2 a tank on a 5 hour trip (and i don't have a kicker).

you'll be fine in an 18 out there

I completely disagree with this statement, especially for someone new to Lake Ontario. If the water is rough, fish a bay for bass, perch, or walleye. Get some experience under your belt in calm water and learn your limits... Rough water, small boat, and one problem can kill you and your loved ones out there.

Back on topic, the further west you go the fishing will be better, but fish are being taken out of all ports right now. The best thing you can do is tag up with someone on this board and fish out of the same port as them. Exchange cell phone numbers and be on the same vhf channel... You'll have someone to find the fish with and someone to call in case something goes wrong... Having help out there is priceless. If you decide to go out of sodus let me know, but Oak Orchard still seems to be hot!

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

I know my boat has limitations, I go out in the ocean striper fishing alot. I will have my son with me so I wouldnt push anything just to get a fish. As a river fisherman I have seen guys dam near kill themselves and others for a fish. To me that doesnt make much sense. If its rough then I wouldnt attempt heading out at all.

That being said, Im open to trying a different port if need be. I think I'll start out of the SR on Sat, if nothing is happening then Ill head west. Ill be checking the board while we are up there and see whats going on in the lake. In the meantime, Ill keep checking to see if anyone else will be out this weekend.

Thanks for the input,

Jeff