New Rhys-Davis cut bait

Familiar bite cut bait is cut to Rhys Davis specs! Tom Davis has been working with Great Lakes tackle supplies! The new strips hold up very well! I have taken strips out of the water and put them back into the pack,then reused them again! These strips can also be thawed and refroze many times,without any of the quality taken from the bait! If anyone wants to brine their baits to be even more firm thats an option to! I think fresh is best!

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

I believe that the Erie Dearie strips might come in two sizes...there's the thin original strip that's maybe what Mike has seen and a "king" strip that's supposed to be much meatier. I saw a picture of the two in comparison, can't remember where, and the difference was substantial. Calumet Marine has been promoting these things heavily in the Chicago area and stocks cases as well as individual packs for sale (http://calumetmarine.3dcartstores.com/E ... p_372.html)

I guess that Fish On/Erie Dearie worked together to bring them out? They're cured in salt and vacuum packed, and some of the captains recommend a good soak in fish oil before use. I haven't used them yet myself, just wanted everyone to be aware that there are two sizes available.

Joe ..... I think Narby's has the FB, and Captns Cove has Erie Dearie..... The vacuum packs of ED :D look like the strips are very thin, and the pack I got had no scales on the pennants.....?????

I do wish the scales were a little better, and I wish the size was a little bigger, but it has held up well, and taken some nice fish. I want to mention we have used the Familiar Bite stuff too this Summer, and the first batch or two wasn't great, but Warrens in Sodus had some new stuff around the Pro-Am time that held up pretty good. Either way I think we are finally getting meat that is useable! Thanks to the companies trying their darnedest to get us what we want!

• 11 months later...
I believe that the Erie Dearie strips might come in two sizes...there's the thin original strip that's maybe what Mike has seen and a "king" strip that's supposed to be much meatier. I saw a picture of the two in comparison, can't remember where, and the difference was substantial. Calumet Marine has been promoting these things heavily in the Chicago area and stocks cases as well as individual packs for sale (http://calumetmarine.3dcartstores.com/E ... p_372.html)

I guess that Fish On/Erie Dearie worked together to bring them out? They're cured in salt and vacuum packed, and some of the captains recommend a good soak in fish oil before use. I haven't used them yet myself, just wanted everyone to be aware that there are two sizes available.

There are actually 3 different styles of strips right now.

The first is what they call their trolling strips. This is the bait that everyone here has been talking about. Its made of herring and on the thinner side.

The second style of strip they are calling premium strip. This is a very tough and bright strip of ballyhoo. Erie Dearie says its a little thicker then the trolling strips but i dont see it, they look about the same. Although the reports ive heard on it so far have been positive.

(older photo from before they redesigned the label, the label says herring but it is actually ballywho, the current labels now say ballywho)

salted-herring-strips_1_1.jpg

The third style strips is called a thick strip or King strip. It is 2 to 3 times thicker then the trolling strips and made of herring. It is something that Calumet Marine has custom cut (by erie dearie) and is only avialable from them.

Here is that side by side photo mentioned

DSC_0329.jpg