is my boat good enough for lake Ontario?

I have a 20ft Tahoe Sfi with a 190 hp engine. No major problems with 3-5 foot waves. I have a bow rider, so the occassional big wave puts a few cups of water in the front, but nothing that would concern me.

Where are you planning to fish? Just watch the easterly winds.

Always keep an eye on the weather and use common sense no matter what size boat you have. That rig should handle nicely out there for the majority of the time. Watch out for the nor'easters - They cause some big bumps all along the southern shore.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

My friend has the same boat and it does fine out there, just watch the weather and use common sense . I have a 22' Islander and I have the issues that you would have. Have fun.

Thank you for all the advice i feel better about takeing a five hour drive up and not worring about the boat not being able to handle the waves...now I'm excited maybe I'll shoot up there this or next weekend

[ Post made via iPod ] iPod.png

Derek,

We fish lake Ontario and Erie out of my 19.5 ft aluminum sea nymph. I personally would rather fish lake Ontario out of my boat. I've been up 5 times this year and only got chased off the lake 1 time due to weather. Be careful with the weather and don't go beyond your comfort zone and you'll do fine.

Just be careful, once you fish lake O you're not gonna wanna fish anywhere else! One good king and you'll be hooked for life. :yes:

Jeff

same sort of advice from me - I've got a 19' Carolina Skiff with a 90 HP on the back and have been comfortable trolling on 3 footers. Like everybody else said, watch the weather, pay attention to what the waves are doing, and know when to pull up and head in.

If you're driving from a long way away, I'd suggest staying near one of the larger bays so you have a backup plan ready and waiting. There have been lots of days when I get to the lake and end up fishing the bay because the forecast was wrong and the waves are too much for me to be comfortable.