Aluminum Boat - Fire Damage Repair

johnr

I am refurbishing an aluminum boat that was damaged in a barn fire. One area up high on the gunwale (not really a structural area of the boat) was heat damaged, and the aluminum there crystalized and cracked. It's about a 4" X 9" area.

I was wondering if anyone would know of a good aluminum welder around the Syracuse area that could do this repair.

John R.

I had an Aluminum boat that was hit by a car (when parked...not on the water :) the dealer repaired by riveting patches in. Great repair, that boat never leaked a drop of water for my uncle for 5 years or so and me for 5 years or so. If it is already heat damaged it seems welding will add yet more heat and a patch my serve better. My 2 cents.

Welding and riveting together are not good ideas. The heat from the welding adds different stresses that do not like each other. We Tig welded cracked chines on Starcraft 18 footers and they worked ok though. The rivet patch seems to be the better way.

Thanks for the suggestions! I honestly have never repaired aluminum before, but I did work for a state park where they rented out aluminum canoes' and every once in a while the renters would punch a rock through the bottom and I had seen several of them which had been repaired by cutting out a damaged section, and welding in a new patch. They'd grind it flat on the exterior and leave it ridged around the patch inside. That was kind of my reference for asking around. I know that welding aluminum is very difficult to say the least.

If I was patching it myself, I would probably go with the rivet method, and may yet do that since I am an absolute complete amateur at welding and never tackled aluminum before.

But I'll check with Michael Mattessich there. If it can't be welded, or if he try's to weld it and it doens't work, I can always laminate a patch on with rivets. In the particular area where it is on the boat, there isn't really any structural implications, you could pretty much cut away the damaged section and the worst you would get would be some spray from the water.

Thanks for the words of wisdom!

John R.

I have welded lots of aluminum, and it works perfect if done right. There is some validity in what the other posters have said in regards to what heat dose but not enough in boat welding to be regarded as valid for what you are talking about. Your patch is not the same as welding a 10 foot stress crack in a keel.

They weld aircraft all the time, so think of that if some one wants to ride that horse to long. Thin aluminum welds fine until you get to thin (if that make any since) so long as your not welding real heavy or real light stuff and you use the right wire it will out live you and your kids.

Like the one poster said though either rivet or weld no real use in doing both, rivets would work fine as well. If a hull is riveted it should be riveted to be repaired unless the damage is in the "field" then that aria can be welded and the combining of the two isn't bad.

I use a softer wire for boats as it gives and bends allot without breaking, it has never failed - ever. I have made dive platforms to hold divers weighing in at over #500 each and have patched the bottom of hulls, so strength is not the issue but structure.

But to qualify that I don't weld everything people want me to either. Patching that type of damage is simple and safe.

Making it pretty is a matter of set up and wind control, as much of the boat welding I do is outside and hard to keep the wind off the weld and sometimes can make for ugly welds.

I don't fool around I use a spool gun and MiG weld it.

PM and I will happy to talk to you.

PK