ONTARIO SMALLIES

bass buster

i live in fairhaven and fish out of little sodus bay. If you are looking for smallies, go out of the chute and head east to the 2nd and 3rd bluffs past the state park, stay in 15-30 foot, the fishing has been ok, bunch of smaller fish with a few nicer ones in the mix drop shots and tube jigs, and the ole trusty mister twisters will do the trick. Good luck!

Hedges, an eating and dining spot in Webster at 9 mile creek is predominately a spring thing.... Used to catch a nice 14 to 19 inch smallie on every cast with just about anything you threw!!! I even used one of those old fashioned pop can and bottle opener lures and caught 'em on that! Haven't been there in a few years and have heard it isn't the same. I find that hard to believe, but again I can't confirm because I haven't done that in about 7 or 8 years.....

Hey, give it a try... Despite what folks have said, smallies are still all around the lake, but you have to fish with larger baits and lures to keep the gobies off. The bass and everything else, including cormorants are eating up those plump, tasty little dudes (the crayfish are happy about that!!!!!).

• 1 month later...

Cripples, we knocked em dead fishing with Capt Ken of Stingray Charters out of Hughes Marina on May 1, the day they got Bin Laden. We trolled in 3-15 fow with planer boards, never any deeper, never more than 200 yards from shore except in the vicinity of the Ginna Nuke Plant. All told we went about 9 miles past Ginna towards Rochester and then 18 miles back to Hughes Marina. Caught about 20 all told, mostly Browns, a few Lakers and just one Steelhead that I recall. This kind of side-planing as opposed to using downriggers is a seasonal thing so I am told Do not know if this method works in the fall.

• 3 months later...

Last November (Thanks Giving) We caught some smallies that were not so small. In 42 degree water, 30 feet down over 40 feet of water with brown trout lures and targeting brown trout ,we caught 2 smallies and one came in at 3.3 and the other 4.10 pounds. They were suspended and following a school of shad in the rip line of the outflow of the creek at ship builders. If you are looking for big smallies in cold water you should expect to find them suspended. Both were caught on leadcore at 6 and 8 lengths off the side riggers.

Cornelis

• 2 months later...

Head West out of Little Sodus just past Blind Sodus bay and fish the trench. There is a little red cottage on the shoreline as a good land mark. Fish from there West and you will find it. the smallies hang right on the edge of the drop. My father has a camp on Blind Sodus and still does decent for smallies.

• 3 weeks later...

I fish for rockies in the spring. I have fished little and sodus bay, Port bay and blind bay when it is open. Is there any other hot spots for rockies? can you catch them on the big lake? We have had a few slow years with the smallies. We have had a big couple of year with the large mouth. Last year I cought 10 5+ pounders in 3 hrs noe morning in the spring. WOW