engine troubles-both?

keithg

92 penn yann persuader. port engine was in no start mode.starts if you put a small amount of gas in carb.changed fuel/water separater,no diff.must be fuel pump.ordered one looked different,returned it.went out today on one engine.first she only ran to 2500 rpms. had some sticky throttle cables on that side, so i tried again.hit 2400 then she sank to 2200,then bucked then stalled.only in 40 fow .no start.swapped the fuel filters around thinking it must have plugged.no start.solienoid on the tilt motor for the kicker stuck again.so i had louise put the anchor out when we hit 20 fow.she says i never said to tie it off.anchor still there, a good samaritan towed us in.gas is old,but was teated with pink stabil.so for all you gearheads; what are the odds two fuel pumps go so close together, or what else would do this? 5.7 mercruiser bluewaters,inboard.

"so i had louise put the anchor out when we hit 20 fow.she says i never said to tie it off.anchor still there"

Now that is the funniest thing I've heard in a long time...

Take a piece of hose and a 5 gallon gas container with fresh gas, connect one end of the hose to the fuel pump inlet,the other end shove in the container and see if everything runs as it should, before you flush and possibly have to pull the main tank.

It's sounds fuel related, but do the engines share the same fuel pick-up in the tank? Single tank, correct? If so I would look at the possiblity of the pick-up being a possible source of the issue. I have also seen bad fuel lines between the pump and tank that will cause fuel to be restricted or completely plugged off.

You need one of those red pre-flight tags on your anchor " tie off before flight"

JC

two 100 gallon tanks, engines pull off both. thanks for the replies. i still don't believe the anchor thing, good thing for her we found a tow or she would've been towing us back around the rocks towards mexico point on foot when we hit 5 fow.

thanks for the replys. i turned her over to mike to troubleshoot the problem. hoping for nothing major. who would've thought with three engines i'd be looking for a tow? it also dawned on me late am monday that she has two in line filters in front of the carb. maybe i'll get lucky and they will be plugged which would be a simple economical fix. i'll post the final verdict.

• 2 weeks later...