Mount worthy walleye?

MadPerry

I'm looking for opinions on whether or not to send a 7 lb walleye to the taxidermist or carve it up? I don't catch a lot of these but this thing seems like a pig to me, and it fought like hell much to my surprise. Didn't even think it was a walleye! Would you wait for a bigger fish? Is a 7lber common?

MadPerry,

I don't think anyone can tell you if a fish is big enough to mount. I think it's up to you a 7lber is a nice walleye it's not a record and people have caught bigger ones but thats your choice. My first time fishing lake ontario back in the early 90's I went out with my high school science teacher, he told me your first time out you get the first fish. The first dipsy popped I was handed the rod and after a 20 min. fight a 29.6 lb king hit the deck! My first lake ontario fish. Charlie told me you gotta get that one mounted and then after looking at it, its tail was kinda chewed up and it had a few scars on it, he said ahhh you'll catch a bigger one, so I took it home and ate it. Anyway after 20 years of fishing lake ontario I haven't caught a bigger one. I kinda wish my first lake ontario kind was on the wall but the way I look at it I have a great picture and a great story.

Tom

My 2c absoluetly YES!! get it mounted.

tcon,

I have had similar experiences with first time fish. I also have trolled Lake Ontario and caught much larger fish than I catch now on the fingers but they were in other peoples boats with their gear, kinda like I reeled it up but is it truely my catch?

When i boated that chunky 8lbser brown last friday night I knew what to do. Yep straight to the freezer wrapped for the taxidermist.

My firstLlakeOontario fish from my own boat...never forget it :beer:

if money is no option then yes..besides it wont taste good bein that large.that fish is old.and cant taste well..i told my self iv i ever caught a 10lb eye i would mount it.now ive caught many and a 11lb too.my new goal is 12lber..its your fish.. enjoy it..and so long 4 now;john

101_0663.jpg

I might also add it might depend on where it was caught. A seven in some places is big indeed but for Lake Ontario or the Bay of Quinte I would hold out for something over ten. I've caught many over seven and a good number over ten and eleven and still haven't mounted one. Generally we release the big ones after a quick photo. Whatever you decide should feel right to you.

beauty is in the eye of the beholder .... what is a trophy to you might not be to others only you can decide if it is that fish you want mounted go with your gut .....fish on

Agreed!!! I mounted my first bow buck and it was 100 inch 8 pt but i didnt care. I freaking love looking at it! Takes me back every time i look at it