Cayuga for the first time 8-20-11

The wife and I decided to try trolling Cayuga for the first time this Saturday. We've trolled Lake Ontario some and some smaller lakes, but never the Finger Lakes. We trolled from 5:30 AM until 7:00 PM. We put in at Taughannock and went as far North as the power plant. The weeds were bad on the west side of the lake and they got us bad once in the morning. We ended up with 31 fish for the day: 13 lakers, 13 atlantics, and 5 rainbows. One of the first fish of the day was a 35" 17 lb laker. We also got a 28" laker, 24" atlantic, a 24" rainbow along with numerous other 20"+ lakers. Action was pretty steady all day. We did catch a nice laker with the biggest lamprey I've ever seen, probably at least 12" inches. It came off in the net and I bashed it on its head and threw it back in the lake. All fish went back in the lake.

A good friend taught us most of what we know about trolling and it really paid off.

35" 17lb laker

08202011-Cayuga-35in17lblaketrout-1.jpg

28" laker

08202011-Cayuga-28inlaketrout.jpg

24" atlantic

08202011-Cayuga-24inatlanticsalmon.jpg

24" rainbow

08202011-Cayuga-Liz24inrainbowtrout.jpg

Nice job! Looks like another trip is in order :clap: How did that laker fight? I have alot of Lake "O" people say they are like pulling in a boot but I love the fight they give. You just cann't compare a 26Lb salmon to say a 5lb laker. Cayuga has been giving up some big fish this year! Wes

Nice job! Looks like another trip is in order :clap: How did that laker fight? I have alot of Lake "O" people say they are like pulling in a boot but I love the fight they give. You just cann't compare a 26Lb salmon to say a 5lb laker. Cayuga has been giving up some big fish this year! Wes

He took out some drag and never really stopped shaking. Luckily the diver wasn't out very far.

HI ddubs3

you guys had a AWESOME day.......on the MS spoons, were they the scorpion size or stinger or the mags sizes thanks for the info and report :beer::beer::beer::yes:

Regular and stingray. We tried scorpions, but kept dragging around little salmon without knowing they were on.