proble blow back and depth difference

I am putting the money into a probe this winter and wanted to know what guys see as far as difference in blow back with different probes. Especially anyone that has run both units on their boats. Assuming that you are running the same weights on all their riggers, not running a probel weight that is heavier than the other riggers, what system has the least amount of blow back while trolling? X4 or the Depth Raider?

My thoughts is that even if the probes were exactly the same, a depthraider's coated cable will result in more blowback and an additional loss of depth. Now, I know it would be very easy to determine the difference by bottom bumping. Further, how much of a difference that couple of feet of additional depth loose will really make especially as we almost never have 2 riggers set at the exact same depth is a totally different question. But we all know this game is all about the numbers.

Thanks in advance for any input.

jason

I have the cannon itellitroll which gives me the probe depth. Its usually anywhere from 8-14 ft when down over 80 ft. If I was you I would just get the x4. The coated cable is a pain. Im on my second one this yr. Was it my fault yes but still a pain. I've fished on a boat with a x4 so much easier only my unit has a advantage on is I know how deep my probe is depth raider and x4 don't give the depth of probe

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Although I can't ALWAYS see my rigger balls on the fishfinder, it is one of picture parts I look for. I can see the ball to 80' most times as my transducer is angled slightly back for this purpose.

I had a Moor 900 (with coated cable), but had to change because of interference problem with the auto-pilot. Now I have the X4 (uncoated cable) and the inte3rference has dissappeared.

It doesn't matter to me what my counter tells me the ball is at, where I see it tracking is adjusted to what I need it to be. I use 13 lb weights, but if I need to go faster, I'll use 20 lb'ers (less blow-back). In either case, the rigger with the probe on it tracks a little higher. Turns also raise the outside ball because the speed increases on that one.

Downrigger counters can vary because of many factors such as amount of line on the spool, boat speed, ball weight, lure type, downrigger brand, etc., etc. On my boat are two cannon Mag 20 DT/HS riggers, both 1 1/2 years old. I've had recurrent problems with one and part of the repair was a need to change the counter gears to a newer model of gear (Cannon requirement when changing circuit board). Now they track at different depths on the same counter number.

My advice to you would be to use the heaviest weights your riggers can handle and adjust the transducer to be able to see where they track in the water column. Then match them to the depths fish are using at any given time. It will require some tinkering to accomplish, but well worth the effort, in my opinion. It's unlikely that anyone will be able to precisely answer your questions with absolute certainty. If fish are showing at 40', you need your lures close to that depth. It doesn't matter if that depth is actually 43' instead of 40', only that your ball is showing at the same depth (and the bottom is somewhat deeper).

Your fishfinder doesn't show you the depth your ball is tracking at either :no: only the distance from the transducer :yes:

that 80 foot on the fishfinder ball may with blowback be only at 70, maybe a little more, even though it marks at 80 on the graph. Truth is if you see fish scattered between 80 and 100 feet on the graph they may actually all be closer to 80 feet, just that the ones near the edge of the cone of your transducer mark deeper than they actually are :o

Downrigger counters can vary because of many factors such as amount of line on the spool, boat speed, ball weight, lure type, downrigger brand, etc., etc. On my boat are two cannon Mag 20 DT/HS riggers, both 1 1/2 years old. I've had recurrent problems with one and part of the repair was a need to change the counter gears to a newer model of gear (Cannon requirement when changing circuit board). Now they track at different depths on the same counter number.

Is there a standerd amount of cable that should be on a cannon spool for the counter to be accurate as possable???Also wouldnt the length of the boom make a little bit of a difference,being it could be any were from 1ft up to 6ft..?? Not really sure just woundering..

Thanks Matt

-Jakey Baby-

IMO the counter mechanism is meant to count the revolutions of the counter gear and not the revolutions of the spool the cable is wound unto. Therefore, if the gear is functioning accurately, a single revolution would equal 1 foot of cable whether the cable is 10' or 1000' long. You could check by marking the cable at the end pulley and lowering the cable until the counter registers 1'. Measure the lenght of the difference to find the accuracy of the counter (it would probably be easier to lower the ball deeper, just need to know the drop depth from the counter and the measured change).

Boom length would not affect the counter because the counter is reset to 0 when the ball is at water's surface. The counter reads out from where it starts to where it finishes, not the distance from the spool. You should check the zero occasionally and adjust if necessary.

With BigJon riggers the counter is driven by a spring. If that spring is stretched out from adjusting the counter, you will lose accuracy and have to replace the spring. I know this from experience and always kept a spare spring on hand when I ran that brand of rigger.