Beeping from throttle control

Yukoner

I have a mid to late 80's 80 horse merc. I had it out a couple of weeks ago and it ran fine. About 20 mins in we got a bit of a jar from a wave and the throttle control started beeping (not continuous) I thought maybe it was an overheat signal so I went back in. Went out a couple of days later and it was still beeping on start up. The oil reservoir is at least 2/3rds full. What does a non continuous beeping usually mean and could it just be a short?

It could be your low oil sensor is faulty. Disabling the horn will stop it but if you overheat your engine you will cook it to destruction as I did when a glob of seaweed fouled my water intake. But then I got a new boat since the old engine went.

Is it your motor mounted oil res that's 2/3 full or the auxiliary. Im not sure what motor you have or much about that old a motor, but on the newer mercs, the motor mounted tank should be completely full or it will beep. You have to remove the cap while it's running in order to purge the air.

Make sure all the connections on the path from the motor to the controls are connected they might have loosened up and that will cause it to beep-had that happen to me. I would also fill the container on the engine also-my Mercury would start to beep with a lot left.

ok, so I topped the reservoir right up. The beeping is still there. It is there with the ignition turned on but the motor not running. I found 2 grey wires coming from the bottom of the oil reservoir. I disconnected one of them and the beeping stopped. I connected it again, and the beeping was back. I am suspecting a faulty sensor as the beeping is there even when the motor is not running. Just to be safe, can I run a 50:1 gas:oil mix and disconnect this wire??

Will it effect the overheat sensor?

Yes you can pre mix the fuel, a little disconnect is needed. Called merc directly and that was one of the options they gave me. However.

First there is a service bulletin to remove the plastic shaft for the oil injector, they are replaced by a brass one. The plastic threads wear out and the oil injection fails. When you do this the module is removed permanently because it creates a ground for the beeper. I did this when the beep was continuous. The next yr, had the same beep you're having. It was the check valve between the reserve tank and the motor tank making the float bounce.

If you want to start throwing money at it, you can change the module,float, wires,even the cap and still end up having a beep (3.00) check valve. This is probably an easy fix and I like the oil injection. It could be your module, but why spend the hundred bucks on that and end up with more problems. The module will fail sooner or later and you won't know whether to unhook the beeper so you can fish or whether your motor's about to blow. Send a pm if you need more info.

I had the same problem with my 40hp Evinrude! Take a piece of tape and mark your oil reservoir,see if its using oil,check your plugs and see if they are rich or lean,if they are lean,i would be very careful,it might be the oil pump failing! So ur sensor might be doing its job,thats the last thing you need,detonation of your cylinders because it was leaned out! GOOD LUCK,STEVO!

• 7 years later...

I have a 1992 115hp Evinrude.  The throttle started beeping last time out. Short beeps every 3 seconds. Oil injection had been removed. Runs full speed water pump pumping great. Not overheating. Ck temp sensors. Fuel tank was below 1/4 tank. Never had that low. Wanted to run fuel low before winter

Any idea??