FishHawk TD

Just purchased this as a backup to my FH 840 that is unreliable.

I clip the sensor to a 18oz ball and drop it down with my spare wire line rod with aline counter.

It appears to work very well and I think it is the ticket!!!

However, What I don't understand and need confirmed is how is it able to measure depth since there is no fixed transducer or anything mounted at the surface. Does it work via GPS?

How does it know and how accurate is this unit.

I am able to drop it down and see an obvious break in temp when. What is amazing (if it is true) is how warm the water really to the surface until it hits say 50, 55, 60 ft down then you see it change. I know, this is good and is what I want to see but has anyone had a chance to compare this with there fixed mount unit?

I give this product a thumbs upif I can be convinced that it is accurate in reading the depths

Marty :yes:

Thank you your coments Tom.

I just needed a comfort factor from what I was seeing was true.

It's a lot more acccurate(and cheaper) than my fixed mount Fish Hawk 840 even with the new probe that I am having troubles with and ready to throw it over board next time out!

Do you like yours, Tom? I fish from a friend's boat, no down temp or speed - next year. You and I have the same employer so you'll understand when I complain about my lack of funds...

Ya, I love my TD - this is the real deal - it gives me a great picture of the temp profile and what range of depth I should set my lines for a start. Then I see what the fish start bighting on and zero in on the perfect conditions.

The TD does measure depth indirectly via water pressure - and this is fairly acurate. I haven't done a full calibration on the TD using a down rigger, but I do send it right down to the bottom and the depth there matches what I pick up on my fish finder.

I also always set my lines between 45F and 55F, and I always get hits at the depths my TD tells me this temp range is in, so it works for me.

If I stop getting hits I drop the TD in and sure enough I can explain why, the temps are way too hot, or my line depths need to be adjusted.

Now - hear me out here, I don't think temp is the only magic parameter here, as I've caught fish outside of temp on several occasion. I do think it helps you zero in on fish faster, but you have to pay attention to other variables as well, especially down speed.

I have found it to be accurate myself. I was shocked two weeks ago when I jumped aboard The University of Vermont's research vessel and they use the TD every day. It matches their probes data they send down. I actually have video on all of it too, even the UVM probe and data collection. I may have put some of that in the video section here. If not, I'll get it up.