what is your lure imitating

Everywhere Ive ever fished Ive striven to "match the hatch" so to speak. For instance, here in PA at Beltzville Lake we have hybrid stripers that feed heavily on alewives. The ideal setup is to lure the herring to an underwater light then capture some live and live line them for the stripers. The next best of course is to troll lures that imitate most exactly the alewife. The silver and black Rapala Huskyjerk is a high percentage choice because it looks like an alewife. What I'd like to know is why does it seem that the lures used for the trout and salmon in lake Ontario look nothing like the alewives they've been chasing and eating all summer? I never heard anyone suggest using a Huskyjerk or a Storm Shad or any of the other "rubber" swimming tail imitations. I'd be interested in hearing some discussion on this subject. What is it I don't understand about your guys choice of lures. I love the science of it all. I think it's fascinating.

Huskyjerk

I been saying the samething for years! I also fish that manmade clusterf#%k of a lake, I've tried the same lures that work on lake o !! I mean an alewife is an alewife!! Its almost like the fish In "o" are genetically implanted to chase them lures!! You should see the looks I get when I send the big John otter boats out on that lake! I tell people it's crowd control for the jet ski 's!!!

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

I asked the same recently about softbodies after looking at a bunch intended for stripers. The bodies on the spoons used here are about the same size as the baitfish so I assume it's the flash and motion but the effectiveness of flasher/fly combos surprises me. This is my first year trolling so it's all new to me.

Huskyjerk

I been saying the samething for years! I also fish that manmade clusterf#%k of a lake, I've tried the same lures that work on lake o !! I mean an alewife is an alewife!! Its almost like the fish In "o" are genetically implanted to chase them lures!! You should see the looks I get when I send the big John otter boats out on that lake! I tell people it's crowd control for the jet ski 's!!!

:lol::lol::lol::rofl::rofl::rofl::yes::yes::yes::yes:

You got a TROPHY?

I got a TROPHY 20ftr and love it! Bought it new in '95 took it 20mi offshore of SANDY HOOK NJ

I asked the same recently about softbodies after looking at a bunch intended for stripers. The bodies on the spoons used here are about the same size as the baitfish so I assume it's the flash and motion but the effectiveness of flasher/fly combos surprises me. This is my first year trolling so it's all new to me.

I know the flasher is supposed to attract attention to the following lure especially when trolling deep where light penetration dissipates.

Huskyjerk

Hey Bliner, do you run the otters out for walleye at night up at the big O?

its all about how the bait looks to the fish, at 100- 140 ft down on a clear sunny day green may match the hatch better than natural colors, now throw in water clarity, different depths, cloudy skies, partly cloudy skies, rain , high pressure, low pressure ,boat traffic, morning, and afternoon, and last but not least light chop, or heavy chop and you begin to realize why 8 - 12 rods just aint enough, one thing remains the same mainly at deeper depths low electrical currents attract fish, downrigger cable, steel line on your dipsys, copper line, and e-chips in your baits and attractors all put out a little electrical currents, this is one of the best reasons why there are charter boats ( or understanding wifes that allow you to spend a small fortune on a great lakes boat and equipment) , you just cant grab a rod and jump in your boat and go catch offshore salmon and trout, thats why i thank my wife everyday of the summer and then kiss her a## during the rut !!!!!!