Tow line upgrade or downgrade?Broken otter boat!

first i upgraded my tow line to 250 pound power pro...each side snapped on me while trolling in choppy waters. Has any one else had this happen? Then a couple weeks ago i was out and there were some big swells and i had to take it slow otherwise my boat was comint out of the water. I have two planer board masts and on this trip i only had one board so i put it between the mast and bungie it to keep it from bouncing around. Later when i taking gear out of boat i realized my otter boat was Broke. Nothing out of the ordinary happened so i was baffled as to what happened!

DSC03555.jpg

DSC03556.jpg

They snapped on different occasions and both times it was rough, they both snapped about 30 to 40 feet up from the board. Once ok, a freak thing but the second time :@ . A simple blood knot and i back at it and they havent broke since. I got a small boat so when in the wave it might be to much movement for the no stretch of power pro. Do you run them even in say, four footers?

I had 250 pound power pro snap a few weeks ago. ran fine all day then i seen the board a 100 yards behind the boat. Went back and got it, tied it back on and its been fine since. It snapped up by the pulley and it was choppy. Think it may have slipped behind the pulley and slow cut threw the power pro.

The only thing that comes to mind is the double planers that you use.Because of the added weight they run a bit deeper and in addition they pull more than twice as hard. I have seen double boards that had the tie rope coming through small holes in the board but tied to the bolts of the planer board.

http://www.glanglerforum.com/forum/show ... ifications

The damage in the picture may have been because of transport bouncing.

I went with the 500-lb stuff from Amish Outfitters and a couple of their snubbers for just the reasons you've stated. Thus far it works great, but we haven't had to challenge them yet...2 footers at most. I also put some washers around the holes in the Otter Boat itself to spread out the torque where it makes connection.

You are running 2 full keels? I think most of the guys that have doubled these up are running one full and one 1/2 keel. I think 2 full keels might make the make the otter boat sink, causing stress. I planned to add 1/2 keels to mine this year, but when I called Big Jon they wanted $90 plus shipping for them. Yikes! I thought that was a little high...

I was wondering about snubbers for them, that will help for sure. Throphy seeker, the second keel is the same size but has half the weight. I picked it up from the slippery sinker in olcott. I looked everywhere for them and had a hard time finding them till i stopped bye after the wilson invitation, they carry them in stock...45$ i think. The extre keel has nothing to do with it because i broke both sides and the other board does not have the extra keel. Gator, i also used washers on the holes and upgraded the rope the tow line snaps to.

• 2 weeks later...

I had one break sort of like that, it fell off a shelf. Being you were out on a really rough day, they could have broken simply bouncing around in the boat while you were headed out to your fishing spot. Notice how the center section pushed from the bottom - the heavy keel section pushing down and bouncing while stored upside down on the deck. Might be worthwhile to secure them somehow when in-transit on rough days.