fire line or wire

Wire will get you deeper and has a different signature. Have to be a little careful handling wire and watch for pig tails. Power Pro or braid is a little more forgiving to use. If you fish a lot, you'll probably want both. I use Power Pro early then switch to my wires when the fish go deeper. Each has their place, but the fun factor goes to wire when a big king takes off.

Actually, fleas do stick to wire, but wire is so abrasive they saw off the wire very easily, fleas stick to braid like glue.

I have 2 of each, but once flea season starts the braid diver rods stay in the cabin.

Tim

Braid is a little more forgiving and will get you a little more distance from the boat, but as others stated, when fleas come out its all about the wire. Wire will get you more depth and fleas are not an issue with it. I just started using it this year, but it's great not having to deal with the fleas.

Heavy mono also works well down to say 40ft depths --- also gets you further from the boat in shallower water --- but much beyond that it has too much stretch for tripping the dipsy.

• 4 weeks later...