Shoulda Coulda Bummer

The second day of the loc brought out a 35.54lb monster shark. Of course my charter was too late to enter for the day. (big surprise) Then as the day wore on we beached a 13.73 steelhead, killing me. Even better, a charter captain friend of mine boated a 19.22 brown. Yes, they were not entered either. The very next day, another buddy/charter capt. lands a 25 plus lake trout. Once again no entrys. This really sucks for promoting rochester fishing, and its great captains. I called dave chilson and told him the great news, he laughed. He assured me that this happens all the time. So see whitemule, we have the fish to be on the board, but we just dont get it done. Oh well there is still time left. By the way, there is some very large salmon swimming around this year. It has been 6 years sice we have seen a class of sharks like these. Good luck!

Bruce,

With all due respect, you should be honored that people have money in this economy to spend on a charter, and have the ability to fish with a fisherman as good as you with a solid reputation. Perhaps they don't have extra funds to spend on the LOC entry fee, or perhaps they just don't care, don't know how to register, or don't know how much money they can earn.

Maybe my advice would be that you increase your charter by the cost of a one day registration and mandate they have an LOC ticket just like they need a fishing license.

Keep in mind your clients might only want to fish to "get away from it all" and simply want to have a good time with their friends/families. Not everyone is a "die hard" fisherman like us and wants/needs to win a derby.

Just my two cents - coming from someone who has been yelled at and ridiculed by other charter captains while I was a paying customer on their boats!!!

- Chris

Maybe my advice would be that you increase your charter by the cost of a one day registration and mandate they have an LOC ticket just like they need a fishing license.

If you feel that your clients should be registered than take $ 15 of the deposit and do it , I won't let people on my boat if the derby is going on because I've landed the GRAND PRIZE fish and not had my (at the time) 9 year old step-son entered..... DQ'D. Dave Chlison says sorry but, every one on board MUST be entered. Rules have changed now but, doesn't cool the burn from not having 20k in winnings.

Those are some nice catches !!! I cant believe that people will not spend the 15 to enter loc derby for the day. I agree with Lund SSS “â€"take $ 15 of the deposit and do itâ€â€â€ The charters captains out of the Port of Rochester are some of the best fishermen on the lake with one of the hottest spots on the lake to catch fish in all months!!.. The 15 dollars is worth the advertising that it will generate when a fish is placed on the board, not to mention begin able to put the accomplishments on your charter web site.

I also agree with Chris "perhaps they just don't know how to register, or don't know how much money they can earn.†"and mandate they have an LOC ticket just like they need a fishing licenseâ€

I hear it year after year that this happens now is the time to take action and put them in the derby. It’s only $15.00 for the day!!

Bruce, HOOKED UP CHARTERS, what are your thought about entering them in with the deposit money?

Kind Regards;

Mark

I would increase your rates by 50-75% of the cost of four one-day tickets and market on your website " the cost of four derby tickets is included with each charter...."

If you market it correctly, the customer will think they're getting it as a "free" perk..........

I also agree with Mark - the captains out of Rochester are some of the best on this lake!!!!!!!!!!!

- Chris

I called dave chilson and told him the great news, he laughed. He assured me that this happens all the time. So see whitemule, we have the fish to be on the board, but we just dont get it done. Oh well there is still time left.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: Gottta love Dave and his videos! I know I get a kick out of them!

I will take the other side of this. First of all congrats on putting all those nice fish in the boat. That alone had to have your clients thrilled with that kind of catch and planting the seed of remorse in them about not having a derby ticket is the last thing you want to do. Looking at the raw numbers the odds are pretty slim that a one or two day a year charter client has much of a chance to come out ahead financialy. Looking at it from the prospective of the the boat it even becomes less likely you will come out ahead.

As an example, If you run ten charters during the fall derby and charged 4 people 15 dollar entry fees to the derby, that would be a total of $600 for the boat not including your pass. Third place in any one division pays $550 so you need second place or above to come out ahead, or a good combination of high placed entries. Now if you do hit second place you have to deal with the tax issue. Also you have to deal with how prize money is divided. Are you leving it up to the clients to fight it out? Are you expecting a percentage? All hypothetical issues that should be clear a head of time.

This is in now way a rant against the LOC which is a great tournament and has done a lot for Lake Ontario fishing over the years. I participate in it from time to time but I understand that the chance of return on investment is pretty slim unless I am on the lake a lot and in an area that is producing big fish. The people who make out in this tournament are the guys that can get on the board time after time and always cash. I think the best thing to do is make your clients aware of the tournament explain the all in rule and let them decide.

One further thought. Most charters I have been on the first mate pulls the rod out of the holder and hands it to the client. Is that not a DQ by the rules?

Are you willing to let the clients grab the rods in all cases?

Hey Greg. i dont ever grab a rod UNLESS there are handicapped in some way. I have been known to back away, point, and shout fish fish fish. When i said recover the finances for them to join the loc, i mean pay me back for doing so, not looking for winnings. That would be a bonus.