Be aware about vertical jigging!

huskyjerk

It seems to me by some of the responses to my question about vertical jigging in the mouth of the Salmon that not allot of you know for sure whats legal and whats not. I love vertical jigging but I guess won't be doing it this year.

Most of the tribs are open to use jigs and treble hooks from the lake to the first bridge. Oswego is open for jigs and treble hooks from the lake to Utica Street bridge (2nd bridge), and Salmon River is a no-go "from the upstream most navigation buoy located between the breakwalls at the mouth upstream to the County Route 52 bridge in Altmar" (pretty much the whole river)

Here's a link to the special regs page on the DEC website:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/31420.html

Not to hijack, but I love vertical jiggin. Grew up doing it on the mississippi and illinois rivers. Wondering if theres a vjig bite outta olcott late in the season.

We used to have this program outta waukegan harbor with white twisters unders floats for browns. Middle winter open water pattern. Right from shore. Maybe that has some legs here.

we dont use trebles

could you be more specific then that? "we don't use trebles", So you say jigging the Salmon with a jig bearing a single hook, no gap wider than 1/2 inch, is perfectly legal, right?

Not perfectly legal....has to be less than 1/8 oz. and have a gap of no larger than 1/2 inch and have some kind of feather or something on it to classify it as a "fly"....regs regarding hooks pasted below.

Hooks

•Hooks attached to any lure, except an artificial fly must be free-swinging.

•Hooks may have a gap (distance between the shank and the point) of no more than one half inch.

•Use of hooks with added weight is prohibited, except that artificial flies with no more than one-eighth ounce of added weight may be used. For the purposes of this regulation, the method by which weight is added to a hook does not affect classification as an "artificial fly" provided the conditions of the definition of an "artificial fly" are otherwise met.

•Only one hook with a single hook point is permitted, except that floating lures may have multiple hooks including double and treble hooks only as permitted below.

location matters in the lake those hook regs do not apply they are for the first bridge upstream to the first barrier and only apply during spawning season I forget the exact dates because they rarly apply to me because I usually drift size 10 hooks with eggs under a float or 1/16oz or smaller hair jigs under a float for trout and salmon just because thats the way I like to do it something about seeing the float dissapear. also a lot of tribs have special regs for certian sections so check but if your in the lake or downstream of the last bridge your good with any type of jig more or less though i dont think you can get away with calling a snag hook a jig

location matters in the lake those hook regs do not apply they are for the first bridge upstream to the first barrier and only apply during spawning season I forget the exact dates because they rarly apply to me because I usually drift size 10 hooks with eggs under a float or 1/16oz or smaller hair jigs under a float for trout and salmon just because thats the way I like to do it something about seeing the float dissapear. also a lot of tribs have special regs for certian sections so check but if your in the lake or downstream of the last bridge your good with any type of jig more or less though i dont think you can get away with calling a snag hook a jig

You see now how misinformed many folks are. I've heard so many "conversations" between seemingly well informed fishermen over the years that is cause for bewilderment.

So this is what I THINK is right. In the Salmon River during the spawning run don't be using ANYTHING WITH A TREBLE HOOK ATTACHED PERIOD

DO NOT MAKE ANY JERKING OR "HOOK SETTING" MOTIONS with of course your rod and that would preclude yo-yo jigging.

You know what...they're too dam many knit pickin regulations on this activity.

Now I know years ago Salmon fishing (at least on the Salmon River) was a h ll of a fiasco!!

Something needed to be done to calm things down a little, but it's gone too far. Those of us who want to play by the book but who are also creative and experimental are handicapped by so many tackle regs and WHY? For instance, I'd like to experiment with using a sliding egg sinker rig with a floating Rapala at the terminal end then anchor in the current and cast directly aft then feed out line so that

the Rapala could be drifted straight back and change depths as you pay out and reel in line. That is not legal!! It's not robbing from anyone. Its no more disrupting to bank fisherman than the drift boats. There's no way to intentionally snag anything with that rig so why? And thats just one example of the hypersensitivity that seems to pervade the regulatory agency involved.

dude if your that unsure pick up the reg book when you get your license I read it every year and the regs around spawning season are the most complicated of the whole book. again each river or stream has general regs and than special regs for certian sections of certian rivers. as far as the egg sinker and rapala I dont think there is enough current in the mouth where you said you wanted to fish though maybe I say try it. I know this time of year if you get upwellings of cold water right off of harbor mouths swim baits on spinning gear can be deadly but you gotta find the pockets. and again if your down stream of the last bridge than you can definatly try the rapala if not check the regs for the spot your fishing sometimes floating lures are okay you may just have to remove one hook.