LOC weigh in after 8pm

Am I the only one that would like to see the rule changed so that you can weigh a fish in the next day if caught after 8pm?

The only reason I can see for the rule is that they dont want people not entered to catch a big fish then sign up the next morning and weigh in... But lets face it, those people would still do the same thing, keep it on ice, sign up for the loc at 530am and weigh the fish in at 9am.

The same day weigh in really only hurts the honest fisherman, please let us weigh the fish in the next day next year!

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

What's funny is that the only times you can't keep a fish is from 8-12pm. After midnight, it's okay again.

Seems funky to me. I guess I don't understand the basis of the rule, and I agree that it penalizes the honest fishermen.

David C? I'm sure you've heard the same gripe more than once over the years? You want to weigh in (no pun intended)?

I agree, a change is preferable. Maybe require that a picture accompany the weigh-in that has the date and time stamped on the file? I know all my pics have that info with them. Just a thought, but I would fish more evenings if an early morning weigh-in were possible!! 8)

Maybe the LOC can have a phone number set up, where you can call in and let them know you can't make the 8 pm weigh in . The time of the call would be automatically recorded. You could give your name, your location, all boat members names, with loc registration numbers,a description of the fish, with the length, and approximate weight....and must be at a weigh in site the next morning, within the first hour of their opening. That might elimanate those crazy ,dangerous, sometimes unsafe ,pull and run, mad dashes to shore with boat, and transfer to car/truck (for some weigh in sites)and speeding to make the deadline. Choo-choo steve

I kind of like that idea! Although I guess I'm not certain what the rationale is for not being able to weigh a fish in that was caught between 8-12 pm, anyway. It can't just be weigh station hours, because the weigh stations aren't open until 9 am, and we're usually out fishing at 5 am. Can a weigh station distinguish between a fish that's been on ice all day versus a fish that was on ice all night and part of the day? If there's a lie detector test required for the top prize, just ask whether the sports were in the derby when they caught the fish. I guess it's possible that you'd get some yahoo that'd try to beat the system by not registering, then weighing a fish in the next day, but who's to say that doesn't happen now? But, honestly, probably not too often...I think that most fishermen are good joes, almost everyone I know who fishes regularly enters the derby, I recognize lots of names on the leaderboard, and the charter boats generally police themselves...lots of 35-42 lb fish caught over the past two weeks where the sports didn't get into the game :o

In the overall scheme of things, there would be more benefits to the participants than drawbacks to the derby itself by leaving the evening open.

I'd still like to hear from the man himself as to whether there's something I'm missing...okay, that was a setup line if I've ever heard one.