was on the west pier by the light house at 5:30am - 8. I have never seen so many fish. In all directions the entire time, there were whole schools of fish jumping, porpoising, splashing tails..saw big browns and kings. fish were from just a few feet off the rocks to as far as my eyes could see, including right inside the channel

unfortunately i got not even a single hit. casted every spoon and rapala i had at them. easily dropped my lure right on their heads and nothing at all. not sure why as they appeared to be feeding and there were a ton of sea gulls diving. oh well. it was fun just seeing so many

heading there now.

update*** just got back from the channel... channel side is chocked with weeds thus making it hard to properly present a lure... Didnt see any sign of any salmon on the channel side, or any fish for that matter other than gobies that the bucket people were taking. Lake side however provided solid largemouth action, got 2 within about an hour on wobbler spoons... after about 3 hrs with no more fish i decided to leave because it looks like t-storms are not far off...

Thinking about going back first thing tommorow morning to the very end of the pier, weather depending. If there were salmon there last night they cruised right through and are probably half way across the bay by now.

i was on the very end too. there were indeed alot of weeds. i continued to cast until i found some clear weedless paths to pull my lures through, but it was difficult. i may try again tomorrow, but really, if it werent for those weeds i probably would have stood there all day casting.

i found it interesting that there were spots where you could clearly see 3 or 4 or more browns, grouped together and behaving as if they were feeding on surface bait fish...repeated splashing and circling at the surface like saltwater fish. when i saw this, i placed my lure right on em or near enough....but no bites.

i have never seen this which made standing on those rocks in the rain worth the effort.

just got back from there... there was in fact a ton of fish breaking the surface, pretty sure i saw a king do a tailstand and laugh at me. Casted every spoons and spinner i had... Panthers, yecks, cleos, daredevils, blue fox, everything... not a single bite despite the fact that i could see fish feeding everywhere. From what i saw it looked like there were browns, kings and atlantics.

the trick is to figure out what it is they are feeding on and match it as close as possible with a lure, whether that be a crankbait or spoon. possibly niagara minnows. been seeing large schools of them recently. possibly small cleo's or small floating rapala's with natural colors that are shallow diving. cast well beyond areas you are seeing fish or activity and run your lure around the edge or through that area. when i find an area that has baitfish, i will anchor the boat in the center and cast out in a fan pattern. like ringing a dinner bell.

i casted about 7 or 8 different cleos with no success... Also tried yecks and wobblers. Tried blue fox vibrax and minnow spinners. Tried rooster tails. Tried Mepps Aglia Long spinners. tried a soft plastic shad on a jig. tried a few silver rapalas. They just seemed totally uninterested in anything....except jumping and putting on a show. wondering if maybe egg sacs or soft plastic egg representations on a jig might of been the ticket.

tried again today around noon but from a boat casting around the outlet and piers. saw only a few fish surface. tried silver or gold shallow husky jerks and cleos. no hits

at some point they will bite. i did well off piers last fall with cleos and rapalas but it was later in september and october.

i dont have any eggs or skein unfortunately. those that use em usually outfish me by quite a bit

was there today with egg sacs. saw no fish. no hits.

ditto. casted spoons and egg sacs... surf was pretty rough and it was windy. didnt see any fish at all... Im not sure if the jumpers i saw on monday went back out into the lake or if they moved into the bay overnight... but theyre no where near the pier anymore... I checked the irondequoit creek at ellison, empire and linear today and didnt see any fish, so im guessing they are either sitting in the bay somewhere or went back into the lake.

• 2 weeks later...

Fished the outlet today from 12-4... Got a decent largemouth about 1/4 way down the pier in the shallows on a Copper Blue Fox Vibrax. Also Got this beautiful steelhead about 3/4 of the way down the pier in irondequoit. Channel Side. Hit a blue and weight KO Wobbler with a normal retrieve in fairly deep water. Based on length id estimate the fish was 7lbs or so... Shame is i was alone and only had my crappy camera phone. ****ty picture just doesnt do the beauty justice. also, sorta surprised to see steelies inshore so early.

Headed back out around 7 tonite to the summerville pier...hopefully gettin into some kings.

steelhead.jpg

fatbass.jpg

nice. think ill go back to my usual spot, webster park this weekend. have had zero luck at outlet. my feeling about the place is that the trout/salmon dont chill out there for long.. they keep going though the bay and towards I-creek, so its hit or miss at the opening of the bay. The fish seem to hang out at webster park alot longer before going up the creek in my experience especially if the creek is shallow, though i havent been to the park yet to see

if you see any though, please post since i only live minutes from the outlet i can get there easier

nice. think ill go back to my usual spot, webster park this weekend. have had zero luck at outlet. my feeling about the place is that the trout/salmon dont chill out there for long.. they keep going though the bay and towards I-creek, so its hit or miss at the opening of the bay. The fish seem to hang out at webster park alot longer before going up the creek in my experience especially if the creek is shallow, though i havent been to the park yet to see

if you see any though, please post since i only live minutes from the outlet i can get there easier

I had a nice steelhead at the outlet on friday... and over the weekend i saw alot of browns cruising in the shallows near the beach on the lake side chasing baitfish. A week or so ago salmon were porpoising and feeding like crazy at the end near the lighthouse. The past few days though, theres been absolutely nothing as far as trout or salmon... Largemouth action has been steady though and thats what keeps me going back. I think the chances of catching some trout off the pier at the outlet are firm... as for salmon though, i feel like your right... While theyre off the end near the lighthouse staging you can get em... But once they enter the channel im thinking they probably make a straight shot for the deeper waters of the bay. Im thinking alot of the salmon have already passed through the outlet and are now staging in the bay until they make the final move into i-creek. As for I-creek, ive checked laselles, ellison, linear and powder mills this week and ive seen nothing but small stream trout and carp. no lake runners yet...which furthers my feelings that theyre still in the bay.

And ive been meaning to try webster park the past week as well... Ive gotten so busy tied up at the outlet and summerville i havent made it over there recently... The next few days are supposed to be hot and sunny, so probably wont be much going on... but im thinking once we get another cool/cloudy day webster park might be pretty hot. Once that creek fills up though the fish are going to make a dash for it.