sky carp shortage ?

Knocked down our first bunch here around mid am. Probably could have had a decent chance of finishing em but the young 'skybusters' turned em off & away before I could simmer them down. I usually smoke the breasts - guess I'll have to make room for em somewhere between the salmon tomorrow, smoker schedule is pretty full for the next couple days... -Andy

Ice...I'm in central NY. This time of year the local geese do alot of moving around. Also, the molt migrators (non-breeders which go to northern Quebec to molt) have not showed up here yet. Usually by the middle of the month they start trickling in. In my opinion the best part of the early season is always toward the end of the month as more and more birds start appearing.

Early on here in 7M we have lots of fairly small groups w/ a few adults & a lot of juveniles. We can usually get em in w/ a pretty small spread. If you can take the adults when they first commit, it's often 'game over' for the whole lot!

I had pretty good luck the first two days of the season and have managed 4 geese on 4 hunts since. The highlight was my trip after work last night. Canoed out to my spot, got my rig set up and checked my watch, it was 7:06. I checked the weather channel for Sunset in my town. 7:09. I decided to ignore the mosquitoes and enjoy the sunset on a calm evening. Didn't have anything fly until 7:30.

The birds are scattered all over the Hudson Valley with all the flooding, they have a lot more roosting and feeding options.