best linecounter reels

Need some input on some new linecounter reels.I know the best are the shimano's but I drop to much gear in the water to spend that kind of money.Just lost my penn 320gti and talora rod last week.Well anyway I have 6 accudepth linecounters and want to upgrade.Are the sealines any better.Also has anyone used the abu garcia 6500 linecounters and how are they.I am also looking at the penn lc but I want something alittle smaller.thanks

The Sealines are better than the Accudepths. I would spend the money and buy the BEST reel on the market - The Saltist reel. Super smooth drag, adjusts better than the Tekotas, and the 6.1 to 1 gear ratio is amazing on Lake O fish.

Tekotas are great, so long as you don't mind buying a reel where you know you'll want to upgrade the drag. We have all of about two clicks on our Tekota coppers where the drag is at the right poundage. I've heard that the drag upgrades are much better, though. So, I'd have to side with Brian on this one. Of course, we've only been fishing Saltists for two years, and we haven't had to go to the reel repair guys with them yet...I suppose time will tell.

The Sealines are way, way better than the Accudepths. Don't know about the 6500 series. The other inexpensive reels out there are the Okuma Magda and Tica CS, both of which we've owned. I can't really recommend either of these reels, though the Magda can be a decent short-term option for the money, particularly if you like to toss them overboard on a regular basis.

that depends on if you are talking about the original accudepths or their replacement, the accudepth plus. The original accudepths were junk from what I understand, but the ADP's are perfectly fine reels. I have 4 of them doing braid and mono diver duty and have absolutely zero complaints after 3 or 4 seasons.

<> I also have 2 sealines that I run my wire divers on and they are both 10+ years old and have never given me a lick of trouble either.

Tim

We have 2 years with 75+ days a season on our Saltist. Cinelli Sportfishing has two boats loaded with Saltist and prolly puts 100-125 days on his. Other than a weak clicker on the 30 size none of us have had one ounce of trouble. There are plenty more people out there with Saltist who absolutely love them. Pros on this reel is the high speed, smooth drags, and durability. Cons for the reel would be the line counter placement for some, and a weak clicker on the 30 size. I haven't heard of anyone needing to get these reels repaired yet, so my guess is if someone did it was a blem or they abused the heck out of it.

The Tekota is a great reel also, and very proven on the Great Lakes. Okuma is coming around, and they have some nice high end stuff now. I got a bad taste in my mouth when they first got into the game using some of their reels, and I haven't ever really looked back at them.

I agree about the Saltist, great reels, but the counter can cause some people problems with placement. Also the 30's do have a weak clicker, but that is minimal. Have run the accudepth plus's since they have come out, and none have missed a beat. If you are a weekend warrior, they will work just fine, but if you can afford the little extra for the saltist, you will not be dissapointed. Good Luck,

Capt. Rich

NY Guide Service

i love my saltist, and yes yankee is right the clickers are week on the 30's and line counter position suck but over all its a good reel.....the okuma clarions are also a good reel the drag are awesome and they are faster then the saltist....

It sounds like the new Accudepth Plus is worth looking at as an option to ~$180 for a Saltist or Tekota. The original Accudepth were lousy reels, though, and I wouldn't mind hearing from a few more proponents.

I recommend the Sealine as a workhorse reel at a reasonable price. We abused ours for >15 years and they're still functional. For the most part.

We've been running the Saltist's for two years now and love them. As has been mentioned above, the linecounter position takes some getting used to for some people and the clickers on the 30 size are quieter than the other sizes are. We haven't had a 30 size clicker go bad, it's just not as loud as the 40 and 50 size reels that we use for leadcores. The drag on the Saltist is the best out there IMO and I can't ever see going back to a slower gear ratio reel again. The only real complaint that I have is that they don't make the Saltist in a 60 or 70 size so that we can use them for long coppers! With the exception of our copper reels we've swapped all of our reels for Saltist's and couldn't be happier with the decision.

As far as the Accudepth Plus reels go, we ran the heck out of 4 of them for 3 or 4 seasons and they didn't miss a beat - they're a great reel for the money and will serve you well for years to come. You'll want to stay away from the original Accudepth reels as they just didn't hold up to the rigors of King fishing.

We have a couple of Catalinas that we added to the arsenal this year. They seem like decent reels. The clicker adds appreciable clout necessary to reel them in, though...more so than comparable reels, I think. Hence, the clickers are on for the strike, but go off during the retrieve.

I have (8) Sealine-equipped rods and they have never skipped a beat. I still have my original (2) units I bought back in 1993 and they are still going strong. I use them for my downrigger rods. I have the 47LC and LCA's. I have (2) of the ADP57's for my 10-color and they have been awesome. For my 600' coppers, I have (2) Penn 345's. I add another vote for the Sealines, though. Can't go wrong with them!