solo fishing and steering

rolmops

When I go solo (almost all the time) I try to put out the otter boats and the dipsy diver rods (both) but often without any spoons or flies. I do this to stabilize the boat and make it run a steady course. the dipsies are empty in order to stay legal.

I find that this really helps in running a straight line when I am fighting a fish or fixing a rod. Does anybody else use this or a similar technique to run a straight course?

I have a 9.9 kicker on the back of my boat so I just pop off the steering rod from the kicker. I can do everything except clip the line to my rigger with one hand. But before that I must have looked like an idiot when I run front to back trying to keep the boat straight :D

When I fished alone I used the bow mount trolling motor to keep the boat straight, kept the foot control in the back of the boat. The control quit me so I'm using a 5gal pail behind the motor to slow the boat down and I think it helps keep it straight.

What I do is find the direction the current is pushing me to go in a straight line. Normally with the current. Set my rods then drive whatever way I want to. When I have a fish on I turn back with the current/wind and fight the fish. I don't go out alone unless it's pretty flat. I do run with a sock on each side wich can help at times.

My front mount electric trolling motor has the auto pilot, which is great. I get the trolling motor and kicker in the water and running to get the speed then click the autopilot and just have to keep an eye out for other boats. This does not work great for staging fishing, but when things are spread out works great. I did have one time I was fighting a fish and trying to net it that I got close to another boat but it seemed like they saw me fighting the fish and moved off enough to avoid problems.

The electric trolling motor is pretty old but still works good, it has been moved from the last few boats i've had.

wish they made a poor mans autopilot

Auto-Bungee :inlove::clap::):)

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=25346

Tom B.

(LongLine)

LL,

Thanks for the link. :) I hope it helps some of the folks reading this.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be my solution.

This year i replaced my steering system with a cable-type anti-feedback system. Basically no amount of force or input from the motor can move the steering wheel. The motor will only move when you physically steer it (input from helm). Even though my steering wheel stays straight my boat makes quick turns to either side based on wind, waves, current, and where I am standing on the boat. I'm sure my narrow beam (6.5 ft) has everything to do with it.

What is the beam/length of your boat? Do the above stated factors majorly affect your course?

Carpe - Yup, wind & waves will affect it. That's why I try to go down wind or at some angle with the wind. Mine will go around in circles at trolling speed, yet at 30 mph I can take my hands off the wheel with no problem. Figure that one out...??? Boat is 18 ft aluminum & I think 7'8 or something like that. The bungee looped in the big space on the wheel gives you some latitude if you have to adjust course.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

rolmops, i like your idea. i know my otter boats pull like crap and wouldnt help although the homemade jobbys would probably help. never thought about dipsies helping. i dont fish by myself with my penn yan but i do fish alone in my 16' starcraft which has a tiller motor. its nice having everything at the back of the boat but with all that weight in the back it seems like i can do a quick uturn just setting up a rigger. runs much truer with one guy in the bow. what size boat do you run? best, mark

i run a 14' starcraft so if I fart to hard it turns when setting up I have to go with the wind fortunatly I can reach the wheel and the rods from the same spot so I just go back and forth I set the riggers up first because I will turn a right angle when I lean out to set the release if It takes more than a split second. I do pull my bucket though because I run one off the side and it will pull me in a circle. My beam is less than 6' so trolling alone is always entertaining so i dont do it in a crowd unless i'm running flatlines only but hey when its the only time you can get out you gotta do what you gotta do

rolmops, i like your idea. i know my otter boats pull like crap and wouldnt help although the homemade jobbys would probably help. never thought about dipsies helping. i dont fish by myself with my penn yan but i do fish alone in my 16' starcraft which has a tiller motor. its nice having everything at the back of the boat but with all that weight in the back it seems like i can do a quick uturn just setting up a rigger. runs much truer with one guy in the bow. what size boat do you run? best, mark

I run a 19 foot Sylvan.Concerning the Otterboats running like crap,try to tie the knot in a slightly different spot so the angle of the otter boat keel pulls a bit more outward. I sometimes run 500 copper and 10 colors leadcore on each side and they still work great. As for tiller motor, I run a 1964 9.5 evinrude kicker ,but I changed it to remote control,which you can do to almost any tiller outboard.

Respectfully, Cornelis.

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw this thread .... i use a double bungee set up on my steering wheel, and a double nutted threaded rod,bent in an "L" shape for a tiller handle on my 115 yamaha outboard. There is a small flat metal "tongue" with a hole already drilled in it,on the steering arm of the motor....not sure what it is there for , but it was in the perfect spot for my homemade tiller handle. When i'm in the back of the boat,away from my steering wheel, fighting or netting a fish,or setting up a rigger, when i notice the boat going off course,i just reach down and either pull or push my outboard, using the tiller handle, to straighten out the boat. It works great for me when i'm solo, or when with a partner and we are both at the back of the boat at fish netting time or if we are doubed up etc.. choo-choo

• 2 weeks later...

Rolmops....Friday ,I realized something else i do to keep a straight course while re-rigging a rod and stuff like that...when I'm solo, i put my folding seat's back in the folded down position. With the bungee in place( Longline style now), I sit on the seat with the seats back, folded down....I face backward, watching my rods, with my back resting on the steering wheel. I can actually steer with my back. My Sonar and Moor and mirror are mounted on the passenger side dash, so i only need to glance over to see what's going on under water and ahead of me....try steering with your back ,it works. choo-choo steve

• 2 weeks later...

rolmops,

I too make alot of solo trips and the bow mount trollers with remote/gps are just incredible.

I can program my terrova to hold course and speed if I need to turn a bit to net a fish or slow down I wear the remote around my neck. It was a pricey investment but I don't miss the damn fumes from a kicker and the 80lbs thrust really steers the boat well even in rough water with the long shaft. Keep the main motor down for rudder out back.

If your doing solo projects often it worth looking into.

lol,You are right, hurts too pay for technology these days...

trolling motor $1400, batteries another 200,

16 foot smoker boat was 850 at a yard sale,

30hp johnson 60 bucks in a guys shed "just get it outta here deal...trailer 150 bucks at a yard sale

Its a labor of love piecing together a fishing rig from scratch, but the big expensive boats I see at the launches are way outta my league right now.

It was time for an upgrade and it was worth it.

If I could just trash this Paranomax fish finder :@ keeps shutting off