quagga mussel is doing lake Michigan fishery in

john1947

Hi everyone,

We have fished the big lake since 1975. Took a break for awhile but this year we spent more time.

One thing I noticed is the abundance of quagga mussels on the bottom even in deep water.The art of trolling the bottom doesnt work very well anymore with these invasives.

I also have a camera that goes down 85 feet and the bottom near pultneyville is covered.

Recently there was a news articles on lake Michigan now supposedly covered from shore to shore. It has devasted the commercial fishery there.

The USGS has a excellent article on this species and the threat it poses to our fishery.They do say a common bacteria shows much promise in controling this species.

We definitly need more money spent on getting this undercontrol now

It is interesting to say that the Commercial Fishery is devastated. The DEC and sportfihing lobbies have done everything in their power to encumber the commercial fisherys for the past twenty five years. now public sympathy is sought from a greater share of the public for an answer to a problem. Remember that today 80% of the seafood consumed in the USA is from foreign nations and now you complain about the high price of gasoline when it is our dollar that is worthless.

Saw a recent study by NYGS was said a treatment called bio-bullet is very promising with a 70% mortality for zebra and quagga mussels.

There is alot of concern now that eagles and other fish eating birds are at risk for botulism from the mussels. Loons are especialy vulnerable.

i did fish sunday and fished in close.Did mark alot of fish but no takers.

I did catch my share of mussels though.

there were several boats off hughes in close. Did not get any report though.

This is the information about the bacteria (Pseudomonas fluorescens) that kills Zebra and Quagga mussels.

http://www.aquaticnuisance.org/wordpres ... Malloy.pdf

It is not common and is difficult to produce (high cost).

And an update on testing.

http://marronebioinnovations.com/produc ... _testing/#

Research for these problems is good. Hopefully someday...