Need some advice

Weather permitting I am planning a trip up this weekend. I have a 19 ft. Regal with Penn manual down riggers and, a Furruno fish finder. I also have a couple of Dipseys to drag. I plan on staying close to the Mexico launch as I don't have gps yet. I will have to use the wheel for speed.

My question is tackle an set up. How far behind the ball, is their such a thing as being to far back? What color combos (flasher,fly or spin doc,fly). Any help would be appreciated. I fished for three days on a friends boat two weeks ago without any luck(third year in a row).

Thank you to anyone and, everyone who could help!!! I am considering doing a charter with my two sons but, would like to go out on my boat.

Sidewinder,

Last weekend there were a lot of fish in the 60 - 90 fow range so you don't have to venture to far from shore. I know some of the fellas were talking with the amount of rain in the forecast and the cooler temperatures this week the salmon could possibly be in even closer by the weekend. Last weekend the best color was any kind of green spoon, flasher fly combo most of the salmon were hugging the bottom in 60 - 90 fow. Good luck and monitor the weather and you should be hooked up!

Tom

Run attractors and flys.

White on white and green on green.

Troll a j-plug and a mag spoon and as long as your presentations are running at the depth the fish are you will get bit.

You could start running one side of the boat with a short lead of 10 to 20 feet and the other side with a longer lead of 35 -40 feet.

When you catch a fish pay attention to all the details and start making adjustments to your spread accordingly.

One fish could just be coincidence but two on the same rod can tell you volumes about what they want that day.

Good luck.

Glen

Thank you,

I will give it another try! It sounds like we were doing everything pretty much the same. We were a little farther from the ball and, I think I am going to go for new line and, a couple new Flashers and Flies.

As for paying for a lesson. I believe we all do that in one form or another. If I was to go out with someone else and, learn all the rights and wrongs. I would have to work out my own bugs. Even if we did catch more fish. At the end of the day I would be no more ahead of the game. After all it is all about getting out there and fish. Right?

Thank you !!!

I see you are from Kingston, im up the river in Troy and heading out to Oswego this weekend. Good luck, if you read for a few hours on this site, you can get a starting point to go out and wash some lures. Oswego isnt as busy as Mexico and when the lake boils and the harbor has fish, can be a plan B. Good Luck

this time of year pay attention to your graph as you head for the big river.watch for little bumps at 40 feet.there is a ledge right there where the salmon will lay right on the bottom, sometimes suspend a little. troll east west-west east between lil salmon and selkirk.not many boats and works well. can't go wrong with green.

I hope I can get a couple hooked up. My sons are 9 and 10 and, I would Love to see them up for a good Battle. Memories like that last Forever!!!! :)

Sidewinder

My sons are 23 & 28 and I still love to see them hooked up :) I still look forward to giving them lasting memories, that's whats it's all about!!!! Soon it will it be with my Grandsons!!! Were looking to be out this Sat. also.

We had a late start on Sat. We had two release and, the third was a Charm :P . My son Landed his first Salmon. A 10lb Chinook. Not the biggest but, He is HOOKED. Trolled for about three hours on Sunday morning. Again two release but, no fish. My youngest decided to stay home because he didnt want to deal with the cool temps.