when do we put the boats away???

Just in time to start slinging arrows at deer. Seriously though we usually pull the boat at the end of september. Think we actually waited till the first weekend of october and if i remember correctly we were one of the last ones out of the oak to get his boat out. Remember going out and crushing steelies then pulling it for the year. Its a sad day to see it come out.

I actually slowly start collecting the winterizing materials now as they go on sale at West Marine, the -60 antifreeze, oil and filter, fuel/water separator, lower unit oil, stabil etc. I usually don't pull the boat until some time in mid October right when I'm ready to winterize it. As early as the nights get cold out here where I live in ski country, my engine is much safer with the boat sitting in the warm marina water than it is sitting on my trailer until I'm ready to put it to bed for the winter, and besides we've had some killer days out there in October on the steelies and teenage kings .

Tim

I have had some good days in October in the past so the boat does not get winterized till the last week of October. Minus 1 or 2 will not hurt an i/o. I have covered the outboard and put a light bulb under the motor in the engine compartment should we get a real blast of cold. A friend of mine has kept his boat in the water till mid Dec before. The outdrive is underwater and will not freeze and he would put the buldb in the engine compartment if you have shore power available. So there is no real hurry if you feel you are not done fishing for the season yet. The following pic was taken 2 years ago on October 25th Lake Michigan.

sm_Dsci0103.jpg

in previous years i've been in untill november,although my fingers get cold taking the riggers and rod holders off when they are covered in snow.

That can get to be a not fun expierience. I fished with a friend last year long after my boat was winterized in the 3rd week of nov. Water temp was still good and the Walleye where migrating out of Lake Ontario but it was below freezing which meant cold hands but the worst was ice froming on anything brought out of the water. rigger lines rod eyes and planer board and clips all freeze.

We've fished every weekend since mid-April, and we need to get moving on the bow season coming up soon, clearing lanes, 4 wheeler maintence, etc, etc.

We'll be getting our boats in the barn anytime now.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine is usually winterized after thanks giving. My Brother In Law comes over for Thanks Giving so, dependent on the weather, we either go perch and pike fishing in I-Bay or brown trout fishing in the lake.

The worst part is having winterized and then pulling the boat out again because of very good weather in early to mid December.

Fall trolling is a matter of finding the best temperature.That is where the bait can be found. It is much like Spring with the fish in a frenzy to get the last few good meals before the long cold and hungry winter.