Port Ontario Smoked Kings

chowder

I Just did 10 fish like this and they came out awesome!

Fillet kings & remove skin n' bones (I cut fillets in half so they fit on my grates)

This Brine recipe will cover two 20lb salmon that have been filleted & cut in half if you soak em in a large turkey roasting pan. I refrigerate the brine and use it on at least 2 more fish as long as it's not too warm out or you have room in the fridge for the brine pan.

ok, mix up the following;

3 qts water

1 cup sea or kosher salt

1 cup molasses

1 cup sugar

2 tsp Cayenne pepper

2 tsp Coriander

2 tsp Paprika

6 Bay leaves

Brine the fish for 2 hours

Set the pieces on the grates & grind fresh coarse black pepper on them

Dry the fish till pellicle forms (about an hour or 2) + start drinking beer

Now get the smoker going. Smoke fish w/ alder or apple wood @ about 200-215 deg. 4 big fillets take 2-4hrs depending on outside temp. DON'T OVERCOOK!

I do like my gas fired, water smoker because it can be left alone while you go out & find more people who will go & get beer and then come back to help you with all this 'work'.

Repeat process till all the salmon is gone except the fillets you are gonna either grill or batter & deep fry or bake.

I vacuum seal my smoked salmon and freeze it. Usually serve cold w/ sour cream & some kind of good crackers.

• 3 months later...

Actually going to have some smoked salmon here in a couple hours along with some pickled herring,cukes, beets, head cheese, boiled eel, venison salami, kielbasa, Swedish meatballs + a little aquavit to clear the taste buds between courses, -SKOL!! & merry Christmas to all. -Andy

Actually going to have some smoked salmon here in a couple hours along with some pickled herring,cukes, beets, head cheese, boiled eel, venison salami, kielbasa, Swedish meatballs + a little aquavit to clear the taste buds between courses, -SKOL!! & merry Christmas to all. -Andy

MMMMM, head cheese, haven't had that in a while. Gonna have to add some to the grocery list along with some beets to make Borscht. Thanks for the reminder Andy ;)

• 2 years later...