trolling

FREEMAN77

I have twin 350's in my boat and troll with one of them all the time. My last boat, which was a 24 footer had a single 350 in it and we trolled it all the time too. You'll definitely get better fuel economy out of a kicker motor though. I'd take it out and see how it trolls down.

It could just be the pitch of the prop that's making it hard to troll it down. When I bought my 24 footer a few years ago, I had a hard time getting it to troll down. I had it in to my mechanic for some work and told him that I wanted to troll down slower with it. He took it our for a ride and told me that if I put a different prop with less pitch on it that I would a) find it a lot easier to troll down, and b)gain top-end. We put a new prop on it and I was able to troll down a lot slower, while running the boat at higher RPM's (which is much better for the engine than super slow RPM's), plus I gained another 400 RPM and 5 or 6 mph on the top end.

Tommy, stop by Bryce marine in Greece... he usually has a bunch of used props for sale. I use a "comp prop", composite plastic prop for a spare... brand new from Cabelas for $80. If you don't like it you can send it back no questions asked.

Stainless Steel props can go from $300 on up. Take a look at Overton's web site, they sell them.

In my opinion, I would consider Stainless more for high performance use. Needless to say what areas will u be using the boat? If u are running in areas notorious for shallow waters, then an aluminum prop is more forgiving on the lower unit if u hit bottom. Aluminum is also less on your wallet to fix :D:D

FM77.

I haven't noticed you post the size of your boat yet.

I run a 26 footer with a 350 mpi.

I troll with no difficulty by simply dropping my trim tabs when necessary.

A sea anchor will do the trick to.

I don't know of anyone that makes a trolling plate for an I/O.

Just noticed in another post that it is a 20' Searay.

Does it have trim tabs ?

Regards,

Doug

• 2 weeks later...

A little late, but have you considered the cheap approach, the trolling bucket?? Made some for my boat, then the motor died before I could try them out. My boat trolls at 2.7+ on GPS just in gear, so I thought I'd try these babies. Hopefully I can report on them soon. The pics you see are from a guy in Maine from myfishfinder.com who uses them for just your reason. Can keep his RPM's up w/o having to use a kicker.

Good luck.

SebagoApril2007025.jpg

SebagoApril2007024.jpg

no it does not have trim tabs I was also thinking about maybe getting some put on but they seem a little to much cash for this year :$ maybe next. and I also had another guy tell me about the buckets I think I will give that a try thanx for your input I am having some problems getting her registerd :devil: :roll: so it might not even be in the water until next year :evil: :x